Mark Zuckerberg, Time's Person of the Year--thoughts?

LauraMax

Cathlete
Time's policy, of course, is to nominate the person who's had the most effect on the world, good or bad.

Presumably they believe Zuckerberg's impact has been good?

I have kind of mixed feelings about this. I think he's a decent guy & is very generous with his money.

But I'm uncertain about the benefits of social networking. Even before FB, it had occurred to me that people could hole themselves up in their homes & live quite comfortably without ever having any face to face human contact again, a la Howard Hughes. Is this a good thing, or a bad thing?

What are your thoughts?

As the mother of two teenagers, I am beginning to believe we are raising a generation of people that can't communicate face to face. So much of the actual conversations are via text or facebook. Make-ups, breakups and arguements are always taking place on facebook and people are sharing all their problems with the world of FB. Just my personal opinion (as a person who also has a facebook, but doesn't obsess over it).

I know! It's like people are living their entire lives in the cyberworld! There's something very surreal & creepy about it. I have a FB profile too, but after an ugly cyberstalking incident I don't use it much.

It just seems like personal interaction is dying an ugly death. I suppose this could be a blessing and a curse. ;)

For me, FB has nothing to do with avoiding human contact or anything like that. I am not a tv person. Never really was so when my DH sits down in front of the tube where he can presumably stay for HOURS, I will sit with him in short spurts but for the most part I am not likely to wanna stay put for very long. It just doesn't hold my interest most of the time. That being said, when I wanna "chill out in front of SOMETHING" (ie, tv ), I choose to do it in front of the computer and go on the internet instead and FB is one of the sites I admittedly enjoy spending time on. No different from coming here IMO. :)

For me, FB has nothing to do with avoiding human contact or anything like that. I am not a tv person. Never really was so when my DH sits down in front of the tube where he can presumably stay for HOURS, I will sit with him in short spurts but for the most part I am not likely to wanna stay put for very long. It just doesn't hold my interest most of the time. That being said, when I wanna "chill out in front of SOMETHING" (ie, tv ), I choose to do it in front of the computer and go on the internet instead and FB is one of the sites I admittedly enjoy spending time on. No different from coming here IMO. :)

I agree with Fit_Mommy, especially the comparison with TV. While no medium is worth subsuming one's self to, I've come to value Facebook a great deal, and enjoy nattering on it with friends old and new far more than torturing myself trying to find a decent TV show to watch.

And . . . after my brother died last December, the outpouring of support both online and then IRL (In Real Life, I think) was truly overwhelming, and Facebook became a good way to notify interested friends about remembrances, funeral arrangements, etc. And . . . after my late brother's eldest son, my nephew, was killed while serving his country in Afghanistan this past summer, again, the celebration of his life and the support of his survivors via Facebook is one of my now lifelong memories. Facebook has enabled me to become acquainted with some of my dear nephew's friends and comrades-in-arms, some of whom are half a world away.

I've also been able to chat via Facebook with my other nephew (the younger brother of our dear fallen soldier) several times from my perch in Minnesota and his perch in Afghanistan, where he too is serving his country. That's gotta count for something.

A-Jock

It's all what you make of it. I see people texting each other when they are within sight, couples making comments on each others FB pages when they are clearly in the same room, and other things that I personally wouldn't choose to do. OTOH after being out of school for just over 30 years, I've been reconnecting with a number of my classmates on FB and finding it a great way to see what everyone's doing and where they've ended up. It also makes it easy to connect with family who are spread out around the country. I'm a social person and it gives me an outlet for social contact when I'm home, but I still prefer face to face. It does bother me the extent to which the younger generation is relying on non-face to face contact in their relationships, but ultimately the only ones I can influence are my own two boys.

Your post pulled at my heart-strings A-Jock. :)

FB definitely has it's usefulness. I have regained contact with so many people whom I had lost touch with over the years and quite frankly, with out FB would probably have never "found" again. I appreciate it very much for that. In addition, life gets crazy and sometimes things like FB and texting, etc are useful/convenient ways to keep in touch thru it all. Doesn't mean it's the ONLY way to communicate but it definitely has it's place! I know I personally am sooooo not a phone person! I just don't like! Maybe it's from working in customer service/collections for so many years but regardless, if face to face is not possible then FB and texting take over and it's totally fine by me and the people I do it with. :) The only one I talk to on the phone on a regular basis is my mom. Seriously. That's it! :p

About Mark-good for him on his accomplishments and his donation to NYCPS.
Facebook-it helped me reconnect with former classmates 30 years back plus find out events locally.
I agree with Cathe, balance is key.
The Facebook Experiement which included FB, Twitter, texting and cell phones challenged students to give them up for 30 days. It changed their lives.
Personally, I lived without it up until 18 months ago, I can do it again.

My thoughts are that if someone is the type to hole himself in his home, he's going to do it anyway. I personally think that FB is a good thing, if you use common sense. Share what you're willing to have the world know - even if you're locked down on privacy. Don't post pictures you'd be embarrassed to get out, or could potentially ruin your career somewhere down the road. Don't accept friend requests from random people.

On Morning Joe, they're always expressing their concern about how FB sells your information to marketing companies and how horrible that is. I don't get that point of view at all. I really don't care if Nike knows I like to run and they send me an ad that their shorts are on sale. That's actually good to know! I go out and Like companies that I have had positive experiences with, so I do know when they're having promotions. If they give my profile information to a company that they think will interest me, whatever... who cares?

However, I don't get that whole "Check In" function. I don't really want everyone knowing where I am at a particular moment. If I want you to know where I am, I'll send you a text so you can come meet me. But, I see that others in my Friend list do use it, so I guess they don't share my opinion.

I love that 80% of my HS class are on it and we've reconnected. (Small class) There's no way we'll all get together at a class reunion ever, so it's nice to just be able to say hi and give them encouragement when they start a new business, or go back to college, or have a child get married, or give them a cyber-hug when they have a bad day.

If your kids are on it, you have to make sure you monitor them. I hate how some kids are spoiling it for others. Seriously, mean people truly do suck.

Your post pulled at my heart-strings A-Jock. :)

FB definitely has it's usefulness. I have regained contact with so many people whom I had lost touch with over the years and quite frankly, with out FB would probably have never "found" again. I appreciate it very much for that. In addition, life gets crazy and sometimes things like FB and texting, etc are useful/convenient ways to keep in touch thru it all. Doesn't mean it's the ONLY way to communicate but it definitely has it's place! I know I personally am sooooo not a phone person! I just don't like! Maybe it's from working in customer service/collections for so many years but regardless, if face to face is not possible then FB and texting take over and it's totally fine by me and the people I do it with. :) The only one I talk to on the phone on a regular basis is my mom. Seriously. That's it! :p

I'm with you! I detest the phone. I hate being locked into a conversation and not being able to reply when it's convenient. I hate saying "WHAT?" because the connection isn't great. If I can't talk to you in person, I'm much happier texting or sending an email or FB message. I keep myself showing as Offline when I'm on FB too, because Instant Messaging is too much like a phone call and I'm tethered to the computer while I have a dumb conversation.

Yeah, I have connected w/lots of old friends through FB. And I agree about the phone--there are some people who'll just talk your ear off no matter how many hints you drop! ;)

But I know some people who plant themselves in front of FB all day long & that's all they do. And like Wendy said, entire relationships are conducted electronically these days. It's kind of sad & freaky.

I'm not sure I agree that a potential Howard Hughes could be a shut-in without a computer. Hughes could do it b/c he had enough money that he could pay people to do things like grocery shopping, picking up prescriptions, etc. etc. I know some folks who'd never leave their houses if they didn't have to for this stuff.

And I agree about the phone--there are some people who'll just talk your ear off no matter how many hints you drop! ;)

You've described my mother to a T! I love her dearly and have no problems with her chatiness when we are face to face but over the phone it just drives me mad! :eek: :p

I'm with you! I detest the phone. I hate being locked into a conversation and not being able to reply when it's convenient. I hate saying "WHAT?" because the connection isn't great. If I can't talk to you in person, I'm much happier texting or sending an email or FB message. I keep myself showing as Offline when I'm on FB too, because Instant Messaging is too much like a phone call and I'm tethered to the computer while I have a dumb conversation.

I am ok with the instant messenger on FB. I don't get IM'd constantly so it's not bad and most convos aren't painfully long. If I really don't want to chat then I too will "go offline". ANYTHING is better then the phone though!!!!!!!! :D

You've described my mother to a T! I love her dearly and have no problems with her chatiness when we are face to face but over the phone it just drives me mad! :eek: :p

Actually it was MY mother I had in mind when I typed that. LOL! Wendy, you & I live pretty close. I wonder if our moms are related? We could be cousins! :D

You just might be right, Laura! They could be twins separated at birth! :D

Someday when that boy of yours is in school & you have the time, we'll meet for a meal. Or, even better, take one of Cathe's classes live! :)

You know it's funny, I've "known" you for at least 8 years now from this site, & I think we live about an hour from each other. I remember when Joey was born, & I'm guessing now he's a big boy! So interesting how we get to know people in the cyberworld & sort of grow together, even though we never meet.

I do believe I've just found something good about cyber relationships. ;)

Someday when that boy of yours is in school & you have the time, we'll meet for a meal. Or, even better, take one of Cathe's classes live! :)

You know it's funny, I've "known" you for at least 8 years now from this site, & I think we live about an hour from each other. I remember when Joey was born, & I'm guessing now he's a big boy! So interesting how we get to know people in the cyberworld & sort of grow together, even though we never meet.

I do believe I've just found something good about cyber relationships. ;)

Yup Laura. We don't live that far from one another. I am in Northern Monmouth County. An hour from eachother is probably pretty accurate....depending ofcourse on the dreaded Jersey traffic. :eek: LOL Perhaps we can make it a goal in 2011 for us to gtg at some point! A meal always sounds good to me and will be much easier for me to do then a class with Cathe but we'll see what we can come up with! :) DS is 5 1/2 years old now, btw! Where did the time go? :(

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.