Looking for a good book - humor

Ffte

Cathlete
I've discovered some great books from the Cathletes here, and it's my turn to pick a book for my book club in a few weeks, so I'm coming back to the well. :D

I'm looking for something humorous, first of all. It can be fiction, non-fiction, or inspirational and either old or new. I'm not a fan of romance but any other genre is up for consideration. We meet every month so the book should probably be 400 pages or less.

So what do any of you avid (or even occasional) readers have???

A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole is one of the funniest books I've read in my life.

David Sedaris and Jill Connor Brown are two writers who've made me laugh so hard I had tears in my eyes. Bailey White has a more gentle, wry humor. All are magnificent!

The Plum book series is a great suggestion, but both me and another member has already read most of them.

I'll have to check out the dunces book and the authors suggested. Thanks!

Assassination Vacation by Sarah Vowell. Not only is it laugh out loud funny, but you'll learn all about the assassinations of Lincoln, Garfield, and Mckinley.

Assassination Vacation by Sarah Vowell. Not only is it laugh out loud funny, but you'll learn all about the assassinations of Lincoln, Garfield, and Mckinley.

Loved that book! Have you read The Partly Cloudy Patriot? I think I enjoyed it even more than AV.

Loved that book! Have you read The Partly Cloudy Patriot? I think I enjoyed it even more than AV.

Yes, that's a good one too. I love Sarah Vowell. I haven't read her latest book, The Wordy Shipmates, yet but it's on my list.

Another +1 for Sarah Vowell. I loved Assassination Vacation and Take The Cannoli, and I'm currently reading The Wordy Shipmates.

I forgot about Take the Cannoli! Loved that one, too! Tell me how you like Wordy Shipmates, Gayle.

Here are my favourite authors/books:

• Theodore Sturgeon, Godbody (or really, anything)
  • David R. Palmer, Emergence
  • Spider Robinson, Melancholy Elephants
  • Faye Kellerman, any of her earlier Rina Lazarus/Peter Decker novels
  • Robert Heinlein, (almost) anything, with a few notable exceptions from late in his career
  • Jude Deveraux, Remembrance
  • JK Rowling, Harry Potter series
  • JRR Tolkien, Lord of the Rings trilogy, The Hobbit (and nothing else by him)
  • Joy Fielding, The First Time
  • Anne Rice, Christ the Lord Trilogy, Feast of All Saints
  • John D. MacDonald, the Travis McGee series
  • Judith Merkle Riley, A Vision of Light
  • Kate Cameron, As If They Were Gods
  • Michael Crichton, Jurassic Park
  • CS Lewis, Narnia Chronicles
  • Laura Ingalls Wilder, Little House series
  • Mildred Taylor, Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry
  • Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird

Truthfully, none of them are "funny", although all have elements of humour in them, of course.

Yes, that's a good one too. I love Sarah Vowell. I haven't read her latest book, The Wordy Shipmates, yet but it's on my list.

I read it, and although I found it somewhat interesting, it assumed you knew a lot about the subject already and I didn't like how it was organized. As a Canadian, I actually didn't know a lot about the subject and was hoping to learn a lot more than I did. It basically focused on a few people and a few events without providing any kind of over-all information as to exactly what went down. Kind of like reading a story in an entertainment magazine that assumed you already knew all about the shit that had gone down between Brad, Jen and Angelina and their kids and they were just giving the inside scoop on whether Brad and Angelina really are breaking up over Angelina's inability to cope with 5 million ankle biters. Not enough background given and not enough connecting the dots.

I highly recommend Between Friends by Debbie Macomber. An easy read and great story about friends (very enjoyable). For humor, I would suggest Janet Evanovich beginning with One for the Money.

Jody

Wow, an overwhelming recommendation for Sarah Vowell. I'll have to check her out and pick one of hers. Thanks everyone. :)

Plus I have a list of books to check out on my own too. I love you guys....

Straight Man by Richard Russo

Slummy Mummy

Almost anything by Carl Hiaasen

All hilarious. Guaranteed.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.