Leg press weight

sherryc

Cathlete
I usually use 15 lb. for leg presses as does Cathe in many w/o's, do any of you typically use more for this exercise? I'm wondering if I should try for more.
Thanks
Sherry

I was using 40 pounds but for a few years but this week I went down to 30 pounds in an effort to lean out a little.

I think Cathe usues a lower weight because leg presses make you winded pretty fast and the lower weight allows her to continue coaching us without losing her breath. Also, they like to make sure they are showing us perfect form.

You do what feels good for you! Just make sure your challenged!

I use no more than 20 lbs ( I will go up to 25 in PLB ), but I used to go very heavy on leg presses using the Firm, and I got this boxy look to my hips, like everything had been shoved upwards or something.

Anyways, I have gotten just the results I want using lighter weight and Cathe. The combination is the key!!!:D

It also depends on how fast she goes. I go heavier, 40 lbs in PLB but need to go as light as 30 lbs in LL. If I do 40 lbs in LL, I have to take longer rests.

The most I do is 80lbs squat freeweights, but on a weak day I stick with 40 to 50lbs. Doing leg presses I do 25 to 30lbs. It has to feel right for you but it also has to be challenging.

You know, it's not only Cathe that gives me inspiration but also the rest of you fitness ladies that make me want to challenge myself.:)
Sherry

It definitely depends upon the workout in question. On PLB for example and PS legs Cathe uses a slower rep tempo, which gives you the opportunity to go heavier. I believe I use two 20 lb dumbells in PS legs and up to 45lbs on the barbell in PLB.

But in other workouts, such as LL, the rep speed is faster and Cathe does not give a long break to recover, so I use the dumbell weight she does, or a max of 12 lb each side.

Clare

Yes, it depends on the workout. I have used up to 45# in PLB (actually a bit more, as I've done these with 15# on a weighted vest + 35# on a bar = 50#). In other workouts, it's anywhere from ä 10" medicine ball or weight to two, 15# dumbells. I even do some with NO added weights (in HSTA, where there are a GAZILLION leg presses, I like to vary them from set to set rather than do the exact same weight, height and range of motion: I do some on a lower step with more weight, some on a higher step with less weight, and some coming down to the side or back at a 45-degree angle to hit the inner thigh a bit more).

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.