Leg cramps

joyce619

Cathlete
dear Sheila,

What can I do to prevent these?

I woke up the other nite to get a glass of water and when I put my heel on the floor my calf tensed up so hard I couldn't get my toes to the floor. It hurt so bad I started my deep breathing that I learned in my prenatal classes. My husband had to massage my calf until it loosened up.

My calf is still tender after two days of mild strecthing.

I had pulled this muscle last year when I was teaching aerobics classes and stayed off of it for a few weeks until it healed. Am I just susceptible to this now? This never happened in my other two pregnancies.

My exercise program now is going for 30 min walks every other day and I make sure I stretch before and after. I do stand alot at work and I am trying to be careful about that too.

Any advice would be grateful!

I'm not sure what Sheila's answer will be, but when I was pregnant with my first, I got severe leg cramps. My Mom suggested stomping the leg vigirously until it stopped - and it did work. Good luck, I know that they are extremely painful.

Calf cramps during pregnancy

Hi Joyce,

Sorry you are getting these calf cramps with this pregnancy. Again, each pregnancy is different, even within the same mom!

You need to be continuously stretching your calf muscles during the day - both muscles (ie. the "gastrocs" and the soleus). Everyone knows the "traditional" calf stretch - the standing one where you put the leg that you are stretching behind you. This gets mainly the "gastroc." Now, once in this position if you bring your back foot in a little and bend the knee a bit you will get the soleus as well. Both knees should still be facing forward during the second stretch. Also, during the day and especially before bed, you should sit with your legs out in front of you and slowly flex your feet (ankle joints) until you bring your heels off the floor or bed. Hope that made sense.

Make sure that you are drinking enough water and getting enough calcium and potassium. If you are lacking in any of these you could have calf cramps as a result.

Also, never point your toe when you get one of these. It will make it worse by further contracting your calf muscles!

Let me know if this helps.

Sheila

helping

Thanks Shiela,
I have been stretching at nite before I go to bed and it really has helped. No more cramps! They can really get the best of you!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.