Late 3rd trimester--Baby kicks on one side

Manmohini

Cathlete
Ladies,
Just something weird I have noticed and wondered about. I'm coming up on on the 36 week mark in a couple of days. My baby is active and the thrusts have grown strong, but most of his activity seems to be in one area--the right side of my body under the ribs. Often I feel him lower down as well.. Why do I never feel him kicking on the left side under the ribs? By the way, my doctor and doula said he is head down and ready to launch.

Could it be that he's predominantly hanging out on the right side of my body because I have also noticed that my belly button is off center to the right side by an inch or two. Has anyone else felt this lopsidedness in kicking and positioning of baby?
Manmohini

Congrats@!!! You are almost there!!

I had twins full term, so they had no space to move. But, I always felt my son under my right rib - he kicked hard. That was really the only place I felt all the time and could see his little body move around.

So, it is totally normal to feel a baby in one spot. You little boy has found a nice spot to play until he comes into the world!! :)

I am so excited for you - enjoy the last few moments...get some sleep if you can!!

Your muffin is almost cooked! And he's lost all his room to move, so feeling him move mostly in one spot isn't surprising. My second baby hung out on my right side toward the end, and my belly was very lopsided- it looked weird! His feet and knees were pointed left, so that's where I felt most movement in the last few weeks.

Hey Manmohini,

My boy is the same way - and actually has been for almost 3 months (I'm a few days behind you). His head has been on my lower left side and his feet have been under my right upper ribs forever. My doctor says he is just comfortable (and maybe long ;). He hiccups about 5 hours a day - so I always feel it in the same spot.

Good luck - we're almost there!

arancini

Hi Manmohini,

My baby is in the same position...or similar. She's got her back and butt on my left, head down, and arms and legs are on the right. So I feel the kicks, fingers, bent knees and stretches on my right. It's pretty common for them to stay sort of molded into one place, especially if their head is anchored in your pelvis. An older woman I work with (and adore) said she could see my baby's little butt sticking through my left side, she walked up and touched it and knew where all the baby's main parts were by sight. She's the only person whom I've let touch me like that...it was a sweet moment actually. :)

So, no worries, your little one sounds totally normal.

Hope you're feeling well otherwise. Has your ankle swelling gone down since the weather is a bit colder? Mine has improved quite a bit.

Steph

I loved being able to see my son's feet and toes through my skin when he would try so hard to stretch his legs out. When he was born (by section) the first thing he did was have a BIG stretch- he was 22 inches long!

So I guess the lopsidedness is normal. My doula has been palpitating me and she can feel where everything is--butt, knees, feet. And he does seem to prefer the right side for some reason. The doula says there's not as much baby on the left.

Yes, Steph, the weather has really improved the swelling. Thank goodness for that, and thanks for asking. You must be getting really close by now! I have to admit that I've had good energy and high spirits this pregnancy, and I have stayed as active as possible.

Are any of you ladies staying in the fast lane until labor? Ny plan (ha ha) is to teach my classes right up until the last possible moment. I hope I'm not crazy--it seemed like a perfectly natural plan months ago, but now I'm starting to wonder about it. Most of my syllabi end somewhere about mid-November, at which point I've conscripted some fellow professors to oversee my courses which will be on automatic pilot by then. I have to admit that at 36 weeks, the pregnancy has caught up with me suddenly and finally(as in the last week!)--the heaviness, the inability to bend over and pick up objects, the lack of sleep, frequent urination, and now occasional lower back pain. Still, I don't wish him out any earlier than baking time requires! If he comes before mid-November, I'll have to scramble to rearrange schedules and projects. I really did schedule everything around the standard 40-41 weeks.
Manmohini

hi manmohini! i am right behind you too, coming up on 36 wks, and our little boy has parked himself on my right side too! the other day i was looking in a mirror and saw his little arm pressing through my belly, so amazing!

stay healthy!

I found this to be kinda humerous. I am having a boy and i am 35 weeks I really feel him mostly on my right side also, Especially under my ribs.

Melissa

Hi Ladies,

Manmohini, I'm working right up to the end too. Earning the additional time off is soooo worth it. But I'm feeling pooped now. I got the surge and we packed our house, had 2 moves (including a day on my own getting things out of storage).

I've been setting up our new home, which is enormous by comparison and has loads of steps. I've called this time uber nesting, since I haven't had a chance until now. Honestly, I went for 12-18 hours straight for 7 days in a row. Boy, am I feeling it now. Definitely exhausted but trying to get things in shape. Making great progress but at 38 weeks I feel the low heaviness and all the bending over and even rolling over in bed feels more difficult. I've got the total basketball in front and LOW.

And since you mentioned it I've noticed that my belly button and stomach really do look lopsided...that's what get moving out of a house without mirrors into a house where there are too many!! It's nice to be blissfully unaware sometimes. :)

Good luck winding down with classes, I hope he hangs on so you can wrap up! I'm doing that now and just hoping I get it all done for my co-workers.

Steph

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.