Kick Boxing -

Fitness-Mom

Cathlete
Good Morning -

I was curious to see if anyone incooperates Tae Boe into their Cathe workouts? Over the weekend, I picked up Tae Boe, "Get Ripped," at Ross for a decent price. It was for Basic 1 & 2 workouts. Has anyone had good results doing his workouts? How's his Bootcamp series?

I did Basic 1 last night, & I really liked it. The sweat wasn't pouring off of me like when I do Cathe's KPC, but I really liked it. I guess once I learn his workouts I can put more into it. I was never one for Kickboxing, but once I started adding it in, I am learning to love it!
Also, does anyone use weighted gloves when doing Kick-Boxing? Where is a good place to pick up a pair?

Any other suggestions for other good Kick-boxing workouts?

~Thanks So Much ~
~Jennifer~

Hi Jennifer:

I love the Tae Bo tapes: the advanced ones are fun as all get out and a great workout. Plus, I really need the diversity of different workouts. I never have used weighted gloves. I think they would be harmful to your shoulder joints, but have zero info to back that up. I just prefer to skip them and still feel an excellent workout without them, using the Tae Bo tapes.

Hi Jennifer,

I love Tae-bo. They are the workouts that got me off the couch. Get Ripped, in my opinion is Billy Blanks best creation for cardio. The basic will get you sweating, but the Advanced (Wow) - Pure cardio. I have just about all of the Tae-bo videos created, as for the bootcamp workouts, they use bands. People have had great results with them. I enjoyed them at the beginning, but I'm not a big fan of using bands often. They tend to give me a problem in my shoulders. If you have any further questions on Tae-bo, feel free to ask, like I said, I have just about everyone. There is a new set of workouts coming out in late January or February 2007. I don't know much about it at this time, but I am hoping they will be more cardio, like the Get Ripped series, or his Live series. I definitely have enjoyed those more than the bootcamp workouts.

Iris

Thanks -

How many DVD's are in the "Get Ripped," & "Live," series? I am going to do the Basic 2 work out tonight!
Is there a website to show all his workouts? I went onto BillyBlanks.com but don't see many listed, mainly just the boot camp, which I don't think I would be interested in, just b/c of the bands.

Thanks again :)
~Jennifer~

I love the Get Ripped Advanced workouts, I really saw a difference with it (I might just have to dust it off now!). I got Billy's Bootcamp with the bands when it came out and I had to work through the pain with my shoulders for a couple of weeks when I did them but after that it was a really good burn and my arms and shoulders got really toned. I did them for 6 months and went from no muscles in my arms to for me amazing results everywhere! I ordered Bootcamp Elite and did not like it :( (but I did like the new weighted bands since I busted my other ones)
After doing BC Elite for a couple of weeks I didn't like it and got burned out.

I started doing Cathe's on FiTTV and here I am! :)
My knees and feet have been bugging me so I might go back to my Taebos (orginal Bootcamp) with a little Turbo Jam and KPC mixed in and give my step a rest.

Thanks !!

My thoughts exactly, while I LOVE Cathe Step tapes, my knees haven't recently!!
I think I might just purchase the Boot Camp DVD's. Are you saying there is different Boot Camp versions?

~Thanks So Much ~
~Jennifer~

I used to do quite a bit of Tae Bo, but I got tired of Billy's miscounted sides and continuous counting (and some movdes that are 6-counts and he cues poorly, then acts like the backround exercisers are to blame for not being able to follow him). Get Ripped is a good series. And the Tae Bo Live---Advanced are pretty good as well (at least the even-numbered ones!).

I prefer Powerstrike, more recent Janis Saffel (in earlier ones, she did a lot more choreo and it felt less 'kickboxy'). Kimberley Spreen is pretty good as well.

For a boxing (not 'kickboxing") workout, I like Michael Olajide. He leads "Aerobox" with Kathy Smith. If you want to learn great punching technique and speed and power, he's the one to go to.

Some more recent kb workouts:
Amy Bento (needs LOTS of modifications for me to find it doable--there are several sequences, and moves like a hook off the back arm, that are not doable with good kb form--BUT her presence as an instructor and energy and the music make it worthwhile to do so).

Tracey Staehle. Her upcoming kb workout ("Sweatfest" series) sounds promising, and may address most of the problems with her first kb workout (which had a too-short-for-my-tastes kb segment, very low energy on the part of the instructor--she had filmed 3 workouts the same day, this one last-- use of too much space. Her form is better than Amy's, but she's working on it even more with a martial artist.)

Kelley Coffey-Meyers. Her Step-boxing combines step and kickboxing in a really fun and effective way. Lots of core moves. Very fast paced. A bit short for my tastes (about 40 minutes of step/kb, followed by about 15 minutes of some light compound weight moves that are meant to keep the cardio intensity up). This is the best of the three newest offerings, IMO.

Yes there is the first set of Billy's Bootcamp- comes with Basic Training, Live, Abs, and my favorite of the series "Ultimate" - and comes with non weighted black bands.

Im doing this off memory hehe-
Elite comes with weighted red bands (adjustable too)and like 6 or so workouts, there is a basic one (that is a waste imo), advanced (think it is called Mission 2 or something maybe) and it is sorta ok--I like the standing leg work with the bands but that was it, and the abs workout and I did that once. Then if you paid extra then you got Upper body (30 mins of upper body work with light weights), Lower body which I remember liking, and then Fat Blasting Cardio and I liked that too but it wasn't as good as Get Ripped Advanced but close. I would have just bought the new bands and Upper, Lower and Fat Blasting if I could have.

HTH!

Jennifer, I got my Get Ripped series on Ebay. It came with 2 DVD's, which include Basic 1 & 2 and Advanced 1 & 2. Also another Basic workout, which I count as a bonus basic workout, and I actually get a pretty good workout from that one. Also, if I'm not mistaken, it includes an instructional section. A lot of people skip over the instructional, but I think everyone can benefit from doing it every once in a while, just to sharpen technique.

A lot of people are turned off by Billy's uneven sets, and counting out loud. The theory behind counting out loud is that it helps you breath. Sometimes people have a tendency of holding their breath during certain moves, such as holding in your abs, etc. By counting Billy believes you stay more focused and breath through your workout better. I don't necessarily always count along, but it doesn't bother me that the crew is counting away, lol.

As far as the Live workouts. There are a total of 12 Basic & 12 Advanced. Those in my opinion, are awesome cardio workouts. There are tons of Tae-bo workouts. There is also the Capture the Power series. Those are the ones I started with, and although those were filmed much later than the Live and Get Ripped series, they were actually easier, and I moved on from them pretty quickly, but I still enjoy them from time to time.

As far as the Bootcamp workouts. I prefer the regular bootcamp to the Elite. The Elite weighted bands I liked at first, but I got tired of constantly adjusting them and like I said, my shoulders tend to bother me. I have the same problem even with the dyna band, so I don't push it.

To me Cathe & Tae-bo are a great combination. Like the others have said, I love Cathe, but sometimes my knees do need a break from the step, and Tae-bo gives me intensity that at least compares to what Cathe gives. I also love Turbo Jam and Powerstrike Millennium. Usually if it's kick-boxing, I'm all over it, lol.

Iris

I have several of Billy's DVD's. I find that I get a great w/out from the Get Ripped Advanced 1&2. Those are nonstop cardio and fast! I bought TaeBo Extreme which adds step and weights. I was disappointed in this one. The step is way basic and boring. He only uses 1 lb weights for 5 min max if even that. I do love the get ripped one though.
LD

Hi! I'm a kickboxing instructor and martial artist who has been at it for years. I do use weighted gloves at this point. Mine are made by Title. Each glove has a zippered pocket in it around the wrist that holds metal pins, so you can adjust the weight as you'd like it. If you do get the gloves, ease into it. It places quite a bit of stress on your shoulders. Be really controlled with your form. Good luck to you! Merry Christmas!
Deena

Thank you so much for all the feedback!!

I would like to purchase some more of his Dvd's, but right now I can only get one set.
What would be your suggestion? Advanced, Ripped 1 & 2, or Bootcamp Original Series?

~Thanks So Much ~
~Jennifer~

My recommendation would be depending upon what you like. If you're looking for non-stop kickboxing cardio, then I would definitely go with Get Ripped Advanced. You can get it on Ebay fairly cheap. If you want some cardio and strength, then Bootcamp would be good. If I remember correctly Bootcamp is a series of workouts that include:

Bootcamp Cardio
Bootcamp Cardio Live (30 Min. W/O)
Ab Bootcamp
Lower Body Bootcamp
Basic Bootcamp
& Ultimate Bootcamp

If you get the whole Bootcamp package, then you have some pretty good variety to work with, but again, if you're looking for strictly cardio, no band work, Get Ripped is the way to go. Another pretty good no band Tae-bo video that you can get solo is Elite Fat Blasting Cardio. I think you would like that one too.

I do love my Tae-bo, lol. But Cathe is #1.

Iris

I agree with Iris, just depends on what you want.

I did Get Ripped Advanced II this morning after not doing it for well over a year and was really happy to say I got a really good workout and found after doing Cathe's workouts and Jari's that my stamina and endurance is alot better than it was back then :) Not saying the Taebo workouts don't build up your stamina and endurance but I just know I have come a long way since then - I had a hard time keeping up with it and now I can keep up no problem.

I want to do a 6 week Taebo rotation with the first Bootcamp workouts (Ultimate and the Cardio one - not Cardio Live) and Ripped Advanced and do Butts and Guts one of the days (can't stay away from my Cathe that long! hehe). I need to give my knee a break from stepping.

Would you mind giving me an idea of your lay out for the Taebo Rotation? I have just finished the S&H Rotation, and was thinking of doing, "FitnessFreaks," One Body Part Rotation or Cathe's December Rotation (But don't have the new workouts yet).

I just ordered Get Ripped Advanced 1 & 2 off of ebay yesterday. Did Basic 2 last night, and I think I like that one better than Basic 1, but they both fit together nicely for a longer workout!
I was thinking myself to do a TaeBo Rotation, I think my knees need a break from stepping for a few weeks, but I love it so much!!!
~Thanks So Much ~
~Jennifer~

Well I was going to do-
Mon - Ultimate Bootcamp (you can sub Basic Bootcamp for that if you want)
Tues-Get Ripped Advanced 1 or 2
Wed- Cardio Bootcamp (not Cardio Live Bootcamp)
Thurs-Get Ripped Advanced 1 or 2
Fri - Ultimate Bootcamp (you can sub Basic Bootcamp for that if you want)
Sat - Butts and Guts
Sun - off

Just a note - you can get the infomercial Bootcamp set at Walmart or Sams (at least you used to be able to) and maybe Target too. Just make sure if you get them they have the bands. The ones at the stores and alot of the other places I have seen only sell the 4 pack and the bands and that comes with Basic, Ultimate, Cardio Live and Abs. I got the deluxe set which adds two more dvds - Cardio and back then was Taebo Extreme (step video) now I think it has a lower body workout now instead. I know you can buy the additional 2 dvds standalone as well.
I found them on Ebay and also at Collagevideo.com and also found the 4pk at Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Billy-Blanks-.../104-6723207-0772765?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods

>Thanks -
>
>How many DVD's are in the "Get Ripped," & "Live," series? I
>am going to do the Basic 2 work out tonight!
>Is there a website to show all his workouts? I went onto
>BillyBlanks.com but don't see many listed, mainly just the
>boot camp, which I don't think I would be interested in, just
>b/c of the bands.
>
>
>Thanks again :)
> ~Jennifer~

I have recently discovered and am absolutely LOVING the Get Ripped series. There is a total of 4 Ripped workiouts right now. I bought the 3 pack (Ripped, Slim & Lean, Ripped to the Core) for $15.99 at TJ Maxx. I bought Ripped 1000 at Ross for $5.99. I had tried the original Ripped this past summer and did not care for it so I gave it to my sister, who is now using and enjoying it. I did a total impulse buy at TJ Maxx and am so glad I gave the other workouts a chance. I've done each workout twice no (S&L, GRTTC, and GR1000). Upon preview these workouts looked eh to me, but there is something about them that just clicked with me when I started doing them. GR1000 has a preview for a new one coming out this spring called Ripped & Chiseled that I can't wait for, although, I hope to wait until I find it at Ross. Jari's website is www.rippedworkout.ca.
Angela:7

I did Ultimate Bootcamp yesterday with the new bands and it really kicked my butt. But I realized something yesterday when I was working out. I got plantar fasciitis earlier this year and thought it might be the bands but then for some reason but that went out of my head. I just realized when I got the new bands and used them (for like 2 weeks) is when my foot pain started. So the old Billy bands never gave me any issues - I used them for almost a year with no issues and get the new ones and my feet now hurt.....and my feet hurt alot worse today than normal. *sigh*

I forgot to add after the *sigh* that I have major doms today and my arms have that really nice tight, toned feeling. It is such a bummer that it hurts my feet so much :(

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.