Kettlebells and Cathe

rcsaros

Cathlete
I know Kettlebells (KBs) have been talked about on this forum but I am wondering if it would be too much to do a KB workouts one day, and then one of Cathe's strength workouts the next and keep switching.

Something like:

KB workouts (probably Lauren)
Cathe PHA or another total body
KB
Cathe lower body
KB

I would throw in some cardio at some point or would it be better to do a cardio/weights routine that Cathe has such as a metabolic routine.

Any one have any suggestions, I don't want to go crazy but find I like the strength stuff right now and cardio is just blah but do like kickboxing.

I think it might depend upon the nature of the exercises in the KB routine. So, if the majority were actually focused on functional fitness, metabolic conditioning, i.e., using the KB to work whole body for cardio effect, for stamina, rather than for isolated strength moves, then a weight training DVD with Cathe next day should be OK. Of course, this depends upon your own body's reaction and what's going on in your life at the time that might contribute to general fatigue and a diminishing of the body's recovery responses.

A Cathe PHA workout or metabolic conditioning workout like Afterburn or Flextrain might work better after KB training than a pure strength training workout.

As with most things, you will have to do some trial and error experimentation. None of us reacts to training protocols in exactly the same way as the next person. At the moment, for example, I am experiencing a very high level of general fatigue in life and am finding that even a metabolic conditioning routine can leave me too sore to contemplate a weights session of any nature the next day. If you find this going on for yourself, then it may be best to try and separate the kb and Cathe weight training sessions on consecutive days into lower/upper/lower focus to give half the body a rest break of some kind. See how it goes.

Clare

I agree with Clare. If the KB workout is mostly ballistic moves, you are getting your metabolic work. If the KB workout, consists of mostly grinds, you may want to add in some cardio, or something metabolic. You will have to do some trial and error, to see what works best for you, and your recovery.

I know Kettlebells (KBs) have been talked about on this forum but I am wondering if it would be too much to do a KB workouts one day, and then one of Cathe's strength workouts the next and keep switching.

Something like:

KB workouts (probably Lauren)
Cathe PHA or another total body
KB
Cathe lower body
KB

I would throw in some cardio at some point or would it be better to do a cardio/weights routine that Cathe has such as a metabolic routine.

Any one have any suggestions, I don't want to go crazy but find I like the strength stuff right now and cardio is just blah but do like kickboxing.

Who is Lauren? I would love a great kettlebell workout!

I would suggest: Beginner to Intermediate - Pavel's From Russia With Tough Love (Kettlebell Workout for a Femme Fatale) with Pavel Tsatsouline.The Kettlebell Goddess Workout, with Andrea Du Cane. The Kettlebell Way To Your Perfect Body, Volume 1 with Anthony Diluglio and Beth Chamberlin. The Kettlebell Way, Volume 2, The Empire State with Anthony Diluglio and Beth Chamberlin. Intermediate to advanced - The Art of Strength - Newport, with Anthony Diluglio. Art of Strength - Newport 2nd Edition with Anthony Diluglio. Art of Strength - Firepower with Anthony Diluglio. The Extreme Kettlebell Cardio Workout with Keith Weber. Geoff Neupert had a couple of great paper programs, but, they may not be available any more. Paul Katami had a couple of good KB programs. Oh, just an add-on. Phil Ross has a great DVD, "Power Body," A Powerful Muscular Endurance Workout! Hope these suggestions help!

Last edited:
I recommend Anthony Diluglio and Skogg --- Michael Skogg.

They offer tutorial for pure KB moves and form is very good. Michael has some freebies
on you tube which are worth trying out.

Otherwise Skogg system is also really good. I happy I bought it:)

I have quite a few different KB workouts, I just said Lauren as most know who she is. She isn't my fave instructor but I like her workouts. I don't care for Skogg, he just (to me) seem so dry. I know instructors is a hit or miss. I definitely can't see why some instructors sell their KB workouts for $50 while others are a lot more reasonable at around $15-$20. Even that is high.

Anyway, thanks for all the replies, and I am in a funk right now so just doing what feels good to me.

I don't care for Skogg, he just (to me) seem so dry. I know instructors is a hit or miss. I definitely can't see why some instructors sell their KB workouts for $50 while others are a lot more reasonable at around $15-$20. Even that is high.

I am not into skogg:):);). His set is arguably expensive IMO. That said He is one of few instrutors providing very good KB tutorial.
He is very good explaining and providing techniques, form and pointers. Pavel is one of the best I have known from the time he was
not on youtube.ATB

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.