Kettlebell workouts

medieval7

Cathlete
Hi, kettlebell fans. I have only 2 Iron Core kettlebell workouts, and both have this annoying 30-second "rest" between segments. Can anyone tell me if ALL KB workouts do this? I FF through these to keep the action going, but meanwhile I wanted to see if anyone knew of a workout that keeps flowing.

Many thanks, in advance!

Susanne

You can try The Extreme Kettlebell Cardio Workout by Keith Weber. I just got this video. I haven't done it yet but I watched portions of it. He seems to move rather quickly between exercises. The dvd is divided into chapters like "the man maker" and "upper body blast". The chapters flow into each other so you don't have to go back to the main menu to move forward. You can get this dvd at www.dragondoor.com.

The other video I would recommend is The Art of Strength - Providence. This workout is divided into rounds of 14. Each round is 2 minutes long. There is a 1 minute rest between rounds but you'll need that rest. You can get it at www.artofstrength.com.

If the rest seems to long then maybe you need to get a heavier kettlebell. I often make up my own workout and use an interval timer. So I'll do a variety exercises and do 45 to 50 seconds of work and take a 15 or 10 second rest and then go on to the next exercise.

HTH!

I agree with the above poster.........but you can also try
Fire Power
and Newport available thru AOS also.

Keith Weber's is my fave!! It's NONSTOP action baby!

<<You can try The Extreme Kettlebell Cardio Workout by Keith Weber. >>

I ordered this last week (thanks to the enablers on this board }( )...can't wait to try it!

Susanne - Along the line of Jane's suggestion, check out New Jersey CrossFit's site for some really good ideas for KB workouts that keep moving.

http://www.newjerseycrossfit.com

They posted one a while back called "5 in 30" that I did yesterday. It was:

Do as many rounds as you can in 30 minutes of:
One arm KB swings 5R/5L
KB cleans 5R/5L
KB push press 5R/5L (I subbed KB snatches)
One arm racked front squat 5R/5L
Walkouts 5R/5L (I subbed KB get up sit up)

It was a sweet workout with no breaks!

Also, you could try doing something else during the 30 second breaks - jump rope, plyo jacks, walking lunges, endless possibilities...

Hi Susanne,

Another vote for getting Keith Weber's workout! I did it for the first time the other day, and had major DOMS afterwards!}(

When I've done The KB Way, which also has those breaks, I've either done jumping jacks during the breaks or just skipped ahead if I feel like I don't need the rest period. (Sounds like Gayle does something similar.) Allison (Crazystepper) said that she also jumped on her treadmill during those breaks to get in some running.

I actually ordered Providence yesterday from Amazon. If you order it from Amazon, there is free shipping (since it's over $25) and no sales tax. I can't wait to try that one!}(

Many KB workouts have work phases alternating with recovery periods (from 30 seconds to 1 minute, usually), including all of Anthony Deluglio's workouts.

Steve Cotter uses a more active rest period: doing round-the-body passes between other moves. You could do that instead of the inactive rests in IC. (Or, you could increase the weight of your KB, so that you NEED the rest between moves).

>
>Susanne - Along the line of Jane's suggestion, check out New
>Jersey CrossFit's site for some really good ideas for KB
>workouts that keep moving.
>
>http://www.newjerseycrossfit.com
>

I love the New Jersey Crossfit website!! I get so many ideas for my workouts from this site. Another good one is the Crossfit in Cincinnati.

http://www.dasbootcamp.com/

They use less kettlebells but their workouts are challenging and they have videos of all of them.

On Thursday I used Cathe's boot camp idea and made up a workout using kettlebells. It was killer! My friend and I go to the park on Tuesdays and Thursdays and we always use kettlebells along with jump ropes and medicine balls.

I have been using kettlebells more frequently and have noticed a big difference in my body and in overall strength, endurance and toning.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.