Kathy Smiths Cardio Kickboxing

Why do Kathy when there's CATHE?!!?? If you've never done a Cathe video, you must!

I'm a former aerobics instructor and trainer. I quit a few years ago to stay home with my kids, but I've stayed active and fit. I've done a lot of different videos over the years from a lot of different instructors. NO ONE comes close to the kind of workouts Cathe puts out there. If you REALLY want to work, you need Cathe.

If it is the one I am thinking of (red cover??) I used to enjoy it when I was less fit and not so spoiled by Cathe. Depending on what your personal tastes are you might enjoy it. Kathy Smith's videos are usually decent and I used to do them a lot before Cathe.

Roxie,
I thought I posted a response, but it seems to have disappeared.

If this is the workout with Keith Cook on it (Keli Roberts is in it, too), it's an oldie but a goodie, IMO, for a lighter workout day. The combos are fun and time passes quickly. You can always add weighted gloves to up the intensity.

[font face="heather" font color=black size=+2]~Cathy[/font]

http://s228.photobucket.com/albums/ee296/runninteach/exercise/th_skj.gif

http://img17.glitterfy.com/18/glitterfy183635T533D31.gif

Roxie,

This workout was my intro to kickboxing back in the day! As to someone's question as to why do Kathy, when there's Cathe? The Kathy Smith video has EXCELLENT form pointers, courtesy of Keith Cooke. If you haven't done a lot of kickboxing, or wonder about your form on punches, kicks etc., it's great for keeping your workouts safe and effective. I still really like this workout for lighter days. There's no dread factor and not much high impact. You get a good intermediate level workout and if you follow Keith's clear, easy to understand instructions, you learn to avoid common KB related injuries during any KB workout.

Yes, Cathe is much more intense, and very fun, but she's geared to experienced kickboxers. Lastly, Cathe's form on her earlier workouts (Cardio Kicks, CTX KB) is not as strong as it is in KPC, KM and 4DS so you have to keep that in mind when you're doing the early ones.

One thing you gotta love about Kathy Smith is she brings in the experts when she ventures into new territory (kickboxing, boxing, yoga). HTH!

Jonahnah
Chocolate IS the answer, regardless of the question.

>Roxie,
>
>This workout was my intro to kickboxing back in the day! As to
>someone's question as to why do Kathy, when there's Cathe? The
>Kathy Smith video has EXCELLENT form pointers, courtesy of
>Keith Cooke. If you haven't done a lot of kickboxing, or
>wonder about your form on punches, kicks etc., it's great for
>keeping your workouts safe and effective. I still really like
>this workout for lighter days. There's no dread factor and
>not much high impact. You get a good intermediate level
>workout and if you follow Keith's clear, easy to understand
>instructions, you learn to avoid common KB related injuries
>during any KB workout.
>
>Yes, Cathe is much more intense, and very fun, but she's
>geared to experienced kickboxers. Lastly, Cathe's form on her
>earlier workouts (Cardio Kicks, CTX KB) is not as strong as it
>is in KPC, KM and 4DS so you have to keep that in mind when
>you're doing the early ones.

I agree! When Billy Blanks first became so popular I jumped on the band wagon (no clue about kickboxing) and injured myself. I was so bummed then I found Kathy Smiths KB with Keith Cooke and decided to try KB again and I'm so glad I did. The pace in Kathys workout is slow enough to one to get comfortable with the moves and Keith gives great instructions. Once I got comfortable with Kathys w/o I moved on to Cathe...still to this day I cannot stand Billy Blanks Tae-Bo (I"ve tried many of them, the counting drives me bonkers!) I still use Kathy KB occasionally when I need a break from higher intensity cardio.

its a fine workout but nowhere near as intense as cathe's stuff. if you find her aerobox (i believe its only available on the cardio knockout dvd with kickboxing)then that is a great workout. very intense lots of jumprope moves no rest. the cardio knockout dvd is the same price for both workouts as oppose to just kickboxing. that way you have one for light days and one for more intense days plus the chapters let you skip around and make a workout shorter or longer.

kassia

http://www.picturetrail.com/ldy_solana

"And do what thee wilt as long as ye harm none"

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1307/4842454/16585805/276676894.jpg

I bought this dvd the other day with the aerobox and the kickboxing on it also. I found it at Ross for 3.49 and doing it years ago, I thought it was a good price to get and do every once in a while. It also included a 15min. tai chi stretch.

kim

Al Books has it for .25. I still sometimes use Smiths style workouts. Not bad at all. I make sure I have a lot of different DVD's. It's nice to change it around from time to time. Nothings out there like Cathe though.

Janie

The idea is to die young as late as possible

http://www.picturetrail.com/janiejoey

I only have "AeroBox" with Kathy Smith. I find it pretty intense because of the jump roping. Jumping rope always gets my heart-rate up, but I've had it for years, and have only done the workout 2x. I'm not crazy about Kathy Smith for some reason.

I know this thread isn't about Tae Bo, but I wanted to say in response to Turbo. I know the counting drives a lot of people crazy as I've read, but Billy Blanks says the reason he has people count, is because it forces you to breath. I know when I first started doing advanced workouts, I would hold my breath, and not even realize I was doing so. I've also notice other instructors also count. The Powerstrike Mil. workouts count just as loud. The first time I did PS M1 & PS M2 it bothered me a little, and then I remembered we count all the time in Tae Bo, LOL. I now take Kick-boxing classes in a Tae Kwon Do studio, and the instructors there have us count out loud too, or yell out some kind of martial arts sounds, lol. I'm still learning.. I've heard the concept behind that, is that it gives you more energy to continue the workout. Anyway, I hope you don't mind my 2 cents on the counting subject. It's something a lot of people find annoying, but knowing why it's done, helped me get past that.

Iris,

You're so right about the counting/breathing connection with Taebo! I love, love, love Billy and while the counting never bothered me, I never paid attention to the breathing part until recently. It really helps, especially when you're doing the intensive long kicking sequences or squats interspersed with front kicks. I love his form pointers (keep your triceps tensed and shoulders down during speed bags; keep your glutes tight when doing jumping jacks) that other instructors often don't mention. They really improve the effectiveness of the moves.

Jonahnah
Chocolate IS the answer, regardless of the question.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.