Jujitsu vs. Tae Kwan Do

LauraMax

Cathlete
OK I want to get back into the martial arts. I took kenpo jujitsu for about 3 years while I was in my 20s & it was a fabulous workout, but the focus was on "street fighting" methods.

My gym offers a Tae Kwan Do class on Sat mornings, but a place right around the corner from my house offers a Sat morning jujitsu class. Sat morning is perfect either way when it comes to fitting it into my workout routine.

Setting aside the difference in cost, I'm tempted to go to the place around the corner b/c I really enjoyed the jujitsu & I'm already familiar with it. Does anyone know the difference between the two systems? Is Tae Kwan Do as intense as jujitsu?

I think you'll find that a Tae Kwon Do class taught by a fitness center and not a Dojo, will not be as intense as people will cycle through it. I say take Jujitsu instead.

Tae Kwon Do focuses mainly on kicking and while it can be a good workout, my understanding is that Jujitsu is a tougher workout. I went to a Dojo that taught both and the people who took both said Jujitsu was tougher and a better workout.

You could also take a Tae Kwon Do class or two to see what you think, then decide, though.

Jiu-jitsu I beleive is a lot tougher of a workout, my sessions are normally one hour, two days a week. The groundwork in jiu-jitsu is so tough, endurance wise, because you are basically wrestling once you and your opponent are on the ground and you are using muscles that you normally do not use everyday. That is my opinion. Good luck!

Robin

Great that you want to get back into martial arts! I'm a 2nd degree black belt in tae kwon do. I can tell you that classes in the dojang I train in vary. I walk out dripping wet sometimes and other times not so much. I'm a "senior" belt, so I end up helping others sometimes which leaves me without a great workout. I don't mind, though, because I know it's all part of the philosophy which I truly live by. I'd make sure that both instructors are legitimate. You can definitely get hurt in this type of training- knees especially. I've seen some classes in gyms around the country and don't give most of them a lot of credit. I'm sure that jujitsu is a great workout. The ground fighting turns me off due to the sweat factor...sweaty guys, armpits, unwashed uniforms, etc. Tae kwon do is primarily kicking-70% kicking, 30% punching. As always, it's up to you to make the class more challenging. You sound like a diehard, so I'm sure you would have that angle covered! Which ever you choose have PILSUNG...that's Korean for "certain victory"!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.