Jacket for hiking

atompki1

Cathlete
I was wondering if anyone could provide a recommendation for a nice jacket I can wear for an upcoming hiking trip. I've been looking at a North Face jacket, but they are sooooooooo expensive :mad: I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a different brand that works as well. I'm looking for something light weight to use as an extra layer. I'm sure I will only be wearing it for the cooler mornings and then shedding by noon.

Also, does anyone own North Face products? Are they worth the money??

Looking at this itinerary, all you will need, it seems, is a light weight fleece and a waterproof outer layer in case of rain. Two separate items. Layers are better than one jacket that tries to do it all.

Is there an REI near you? REI own brand products are fine, they will also have close outs ales items for far less money (even North face products). rei.com (take a look at sales, outlet, last season's stuff, etc)

North face stuff is great, but not necessary for what you will be doing, unless you have the $ and care about the label. You can get the same effect for less money.

I am still using a fleece I bought at REI in 1990. Works just fine. With a gore text waterproof jacket that I bought around the same time in the UK. And I have and do use these most summers up at 12 / 13, 000 feet in the Rockies. It doesn't look like you will be accessing any real elevation gains, so don't go overboard on gear.

Mtn Hardware, Marmot, etc are all excellent brands, but for what you will be doing, not necessary.

Clare

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.