i've been exposed to fifths disease

MSJ

Cathlete
A mom from our bible study called me yesterday to let me know that her daughter had been diagnosed with fifths disease and that her pediatrician wanted me to call my ob.

Apparently there is a small risk of still birth associated with this.

does anyone have any experience or knowledge of the actual risks?

I had a rough night last night, but am feeling less worried this morning, but this is going to continue to freak me out for the next couple of months until I know we are out of the woods.

Maggie, trying to trust the Lord, but not doing so well

(HUGS) Maggie. I'm sorry but I have no knowledge at all about this. Did you call your dr? Let us know what they tell you.

Just said a prayer for you and baby.

Maggie, I don't know anything about this either, but I will be thinking of you and pray that you are fine!

Hi Maggie,

Definitely phone your ob immediately and get your mind eased. While it can be very serious if you contract the disease while pregnant, the odds are good that you have already had it at some time in your life and are immune to it. I've attached a link to an online site about FD, and they say it can cause miscarriage or fetal death in up to 10% of women who contract it. Also, if you were exposed to the child only after the rash has appeared, then the child is no longer infectious.

http://www.medicinenet.com/fifth_disease/article.htm

Let us know what your ob says. Until you get some reassurance, try to stay optimistic. You probably are immune to it.

All the best,
Sandra

Maggie- call your dr. for sure, but i always thought many of us were immune to 5th disease by having it as kids ourselves or being exposed by our own kids. With all your kids, you may have already had it. I wouldn't worry too much, but call to be sure, especially if you get the slapped cheek rash or start feeling sick.

Maggie,

Please call the dr..it will help set your mind at ease..the dr will tell you what the risks are and if there is any real need to be concerned...so sorry that happened..i will be praying for you that all is just fine

Hi everyone--

Thank you for your prayers and concern. I called my ob's nurse and she said it was not worth worrying about. It causes most miscarraige in the first trimester. If I contract the disease now, I have about a 1% chance of still birth, but there is a 50% chance that I have already had the disease and only 30% of adults who are exposed and who have not already had the disease actually get it.

That seems low, but then again I have a child with both situs inversus (all his organs are flip-flopped--heart on right side, etc) and down syndrome making him 1 in 1,000,000 for having both unrelated genetic conditions.

God is in control.

Maggie:)

Oh i'm glad you called..that is a very low risk..please try not to worry..it will be fine..you will make yourself sick if you keep thinking negative...try to keep a positive attitude....i know its hard but try...keep yourself well

Maggie, said a prayer for you...should I put you on my nightly list. ;) Actually all us pregos are on my nightly list. ;)

Statistically, you are out of the woods, expecially since you've been in the statistically minority in the past. What are the chances you'll be in the minority AGAIN?!?!? ;)

**Melanie**
baby to be 11/28/05
Justin born 1/17/04
Jory born 4/9/94

http://lilypie.com/days/051128/2/4/1/-6/.png[/img][/url]

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.