itchy dog!

kristen

Cathlete
My 2-year-old Lab has developed itchy skin, especially on her shoulders. I put Advantage on her for fleas and have since she was a puppy, so she doesn't have fleas and she's never had a bad reaction to the Advantage so I don't think it's that. Her diet is the same it has been for a year. Her coat looks beautiful, nice and shiny and soft. We live in the SF Bay Area so it's now quite dry and dusty here, and other dog owners I know are having the same problem. Does anyone have ideas on how I could treat this? If she's reacting to the dry air and all the dust is there anything I can do besides just wait for winter? She already gets a half teaspoon a day of safflower oil (recommended by the vet, and she's been getting that for over a year already) but I'm wondering if something like Derm Caps would actually be better. She's not yet scratching to the point where she's keeping herself awake or abrading her skin, but I want to do something about this before we get there. Thanks everyone! Kristen

Just because she hasn't had a "bad reaction" to the Advantage doesn't mean her skin is not reacting to it over time. Most people don't realize they these products like Advantage, Advantix and Frontline are chemicals and poisons that can eiter show immediate reaction or longterm development of skin conditions or other diseases.

I use a product called "Dream Coat" which is a mixture of several oils to supply Omega 3s. I have a yellow lab who was prone to skin problems, I changed his diet and added the Dream Coat, he has not had any hotspots for over a year. I also sprayed "Fido Derm" by animals' Apawthecary on the affected areas and it works amazing.

Dream Coat is manufactured by a company named HALO Natural Pets. You can get it online,the cheapest that I know is www.vitaminshoppe.com. I get FidoDerm through www.animalessentials.com

Hope this helps. Have a great day!

Carola

Sorry to be silly and interrupt your thread, but I'm tired and loopy...wonder if DreamCoat would work on an itchy child with casts on both legs...hehehehe...:+

Thanks for allowing me this moment.;-)

I had a lab who developed very itchy skin, and it turned out she had a thyroid problem. You might just ask your vet to do a thyroid test to be sure. When Chelsea started taking her thyroid medication, her skin got much better. Good luck1

Hi,

I had a similar problem with my dog Sherman. He would scratch frequently, but didn't have fleas or any visible skin irritation/inflammation. I started using oatmeal shampoo with him, and even occasionally I put some oatmeal lotion (I think I used a lotion from avon) on his itchier spots. It seems to help. It couldn't hurt to give it a shot.

cristina

My dog (Tater Biscuit) gets hot spot every summer....one or two spots he just scratches raw...a vet. tech told me to clean the area and use an topical over the counter cream for the itchyness....I also added more fat to his diet and it seemed to help....this summer as so as I noticed him scratching I started adding fat to his diet and so far no spots...I hope this helps.

Thank you all for the ideas--I know Inka's vote would definitely be for adding fat to her diet! :9

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.