Is your 2-yr-old still on a bottle?

Nobuko

Cathlete
Hi everyone,

My daughter just turned to 2. At her 2-yrcheck up, I was told by a doctor that she needed to be graduated from bottles completely very soon (like 6 months ago). She can drink from regular cup/glasses just fine but still uses bottles also... I appreciate if someone would shares your story on how you've got rid of bottles. Thanks

I can't share my story as I am about to have my first but my sister has 6 children and never had any of them on a bottle. She went from the breast to the cup...except ofcourse for the rare occassions when she had to pump in order to go out somewhere with out the baby.

I don't hear of many doing this but I guess it is possible...I find it rather amazing myself but I am going to take her lead and see if I can do the same....

Wish me luck! lol

~Wendy~

I smoked my last cigarette on March 17, 2004 at 10:00 pm!

http://lilypie.com/days/050519/1/0/1/-5/.png[/img]
EDD: 05/19/05

DS's pediatrician told me by his 1st birthday he needed to be off the bottle.

Sorry I don't really have a story persay to share on how to wean her off of the bottle. Maybe just limit her bottle usage to bedtime or right before naps and then gradually eliminate one of those times after maybe a week and then maybe after another week stop it all together. I did this technique to gradually wean DS off his pacifer at about 14 months. Of course this all depends on how dependent she is upon her bottle. Maybe if you don't offer the bottle to her she won't even miss it being gone. One night I actually forgot to give DS his pacifer and he never asked for it again. Good luck!

I can't help, but I know where you're coming from! Our daughter is 21 months old and LOVES her bottle. It's her only vice, but it's a biggie! We have bought so many cute sippy cups in an attempt to wean her, and she does use cups for water with dinner, but between meals, she wants milk, and she wants it in a bottle.

DH and I talk about this every day. We need to do it, and do it soon, and once we start we can't turn back! Because now she knows if she asks long enough, she will get her bottle. It is not going to be easy!
Good luck to both of us!

What about offering your daughter only water in her bottle, and allowing her to have milk or juice in cups only? Perhaps by altering what she is allowed to have in her bottle to something she might not like as much, she might decide to go for the sippy cup instead. You could even make the sippy cup-option super attractive to her by offering her chocolate milk in it, but *only* in the sippy cup. My DD would do anything for chocolate milk, so I know this would work for her.

Wendy, I did the same thing as your SIL: went from breast to cup, with only a little bottle-use done concurrently with the nursing. I nursed until DD was 1 year old, and by then she was very capable of holding a sippy cup on her own. Many sippy cups these days have little flow-control gadgets ("no-spill") inside them that require the child actually suck the fluid out. This makes them very similar to a bottle.

Nobuko, I wish you the best of luck getting your daughter off the bottle!

Sandra

With my first 2 I cut the bottle out except for naptime and bedtime. Then after a little while I eliminated the naptime bottle and they only received the bottle at bedtime. Then by a year old I took the bottle away completely. My third son was easier. He didn't take a bottle after 10 months. I did the same with the pacifiers too.

Thank you everyone

I just want to say thank you to you all for taking time to read and reply. My daughter and I had a bye-bye-bottle ceremony this afternoon. We put bottles in a garbage can together and said good bye to them. She waived and blew a kiss to them, too. I've been telling my daughter that bottles are for babies and she's a big girl now. Believe or not, she's doing pretty good without them and I really hope it'll stay that way. Wish me luck!

RE: Thank you everyone

Hi,

My son was easy...he went from bottle to sippy at 10 months. So, I feel pretty lucky!

I'm 7 years older than my brother and the bottle was a struggle for my mom. He was three when the bottle finally went bye-bye. We were driving down the road and my brother was screaming for his ba-ba. My mom got so irritated! She rolled down the window, showed the bottle to my brother, threw it out the window, and told my brother ba-ba went bye-bye. My brother just looked shocked. But he never asked for it again. It was a little extreme, but it worked!

Sorry I shouldn't be laughing but I thought thowing a bottle away from the window was just funny. Well, my daughter woke up this morning and asked for a bottle. She cried for a few minutes then she was ok after my husband told her that we said bye-bye to all bottles yesterday. She used to drink average of 6 8 oz milk from a bottle before the bye-bye-bottle ceremony. Today (it's about half way thru)she had only 4 oz of milk from her sippy cup so far and I'm very surprised and amazed. Looks like she'll be just fine now!

Hi,

My son doesn't drink near as much milk now since he uses sippy cups/cups. We try to compensate with cheese snacks and yogurt!

shellnc

Don't worry. My first two kids were nearly two when they came off the bottle. Neither one really got comfortable holding it themselves until they were nearly a year, so I let them go on. Around 18 months, I just substituted the morning bottle with yogurt (or something like that) and eventually did the afternoon and nighttime ones.

When I asked my doctor if it was bad to go past a year, he said "Some doctors would be screaming at you right now, but my philosophy is if a kid is still taking a bottle at age 20, it's for other reasons than you kept giving it to her..." Sounds strange, but it made me feel better.

Allison

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.