Is this pre menapause?

hrcfitness

Cathlete
I'm 42 and an avid advanced exerciser. I've always eaten really well. Very clean etc. ok truth I do drink wine and eat out 1-2 times per week. I've gained about 6 or 7 lbs over the last few years. But they come and go with my period! Like today I weighed 128. 2 weeks ago it was 123. Honestly! Today everything is tight.

So is it hormones? I'm thinking if taking supplements but not sure if its even with it. I feel like for the most part I eat like a rabbit!!

Any advice would be so appreciated.

Could well be. I suffer massive water retention for up to 10 days before my period begins. Most of my clothes feel uncomfortable at this stage. Jeans that had been loose several days before, suddenly make me feel like a sausage stuffed into casing, all around the stomach, thighs and hips.

I didn't go through this in my early forties, but it has come back with a vengeance over the last year and I know that for me, this is perimenopause. The PMS rages now and my cycle is all over the place, getting shorter all the time.

I would say, if after your period your weight goes back down again, then this is exactly what this is. Ways to deal with it? Not sure, but avoid salty foods as much as possible as they will make you retain even more fluid.

Not sure if I have helped, other than to reassure you of how completely normal you are.

Clare

Also try taking dandelion root the week before your period (natural diuretic), and drink plenty of water to help "flush". If your periods are heavier, shorter, more symptoms, irregular, than it sounds like you are in the early stages!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.