Is this kettlebell workout?

Wow this is horrendous. I pulled my back out just watching this!

I haven't seen the Kathy Smith one. I'm gonna search for it on YouTube now lol.

Wow. That is really bad. The swing alone stinks, but I see major back and neck injuries for someone who tried that last move. Instructors should stay out of new exercise techniques they know nothing about until they have been trained in it themselves.

Melissa

Awful!

I did Art of Strength Firepower this morning and it didn't look anything like this poorly-performed mess that Jillian is recommending!

Doesn't she have enough legal trouble on her hands with that supplement lawsuit? That "swing-through" (as she calls it) looks so incredibly dangerous that it's a wonder she didn't knock herself unconscious while doing it.

Thanks for sharing -- I needed a laugh!

Kathy Smith is doing kettlebells? This is the first I've heard of it.

There are SOOO many instructors out there doing KB with crappy form.
Gin Miller, one of my previous favorite instructors, is one of them. I had expected so much from her workout (a fave instructor + a fave way of working out) and her KB workout just stank!

ETA: AKK! I just checked out Kathy SMith's clip on youtube. SHAME on her! One thing I always liked about KS is that she often worked with experts in areas she was not an expert in. I just did her "Secrets to the Upper Body" workout this a.m. (after not doing it for several years) . She had collaborated with Jerry Robinson (of "HEalth for Life") on this one. What's she swinging, 10#?

Last edited:
kathryn i am with you. gin,kathy,jillian all great instructors in their OWN field of expertise. and really big one on kathy b/c she usually brings an expert into styles she doesn't a lot(aka keli and keith on kickboxing, one of the bellydancers was a famed one on the circuit although i forgot her name). this workout she is alone. maybe she did work with somebody and mentions that in the workout but UGH. i actually had gin's workout and nearly popped out my shoulder. even amy's first one wasn't all 100% good form. i am all for people trying new things to bring this workout to the mainstream but you really have to be schooled in first before throwing it out there.

i still love all those instructors but will not purchase anything else with a kettlebell until i have done my homework on it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1ieQjO_Ods and the same time watching VF somebody posted this guys response and corrections to hers

kassia

I have never kettlebelled and dunno nuttin' 'bout no kettlebellin', but that looks ouch!! The weight seems to be controlling her. Seems to me all that popping/locking the hips and knees into place wouldn't be right, either. And why does she look like she's going to fall over backwards. If people follow this they are going to need some serious medical care. Ouch!!!!

At least the people commenting knew it wasn't right. Like I said, I don't know anything about it, but it just LOOKS wrong.

Nan

not to butt in here but...

Who has a good kettleball w/o? I just got a joe weider adjustable weight kettleball and other than the video that came with it- I don't have a workout. What do you reccommend for calorie burn?

Thanks!

Who has a good kettleball w/o? I just got a joe weider adjustable weight kettleball and other than the video that came with it- I don't have a workout. What do you reccommend for calorie burn?

Thanks!

if you are going to use vids iron core, art of strength, and lauren brooks are the ones i tried that are good. iron core is cheaper,target used to sell them with the go fit kettlebells but art of strength and lauren brooks are a little more on the pricey side. lauren and iron core would be better to start to learn form. anthony of art of strength's workouts are more for follow along,he doesn't go over a lot of instruction b/c he assumes you already know. but i still have his newsletters that have some great info and form pointers.

i don't use videos for my bell workouts anymore. i have pavel's enter the kettlebell, lisa shaffers books, and one called kettlebell revolution(not the best but some good routines and rotations). i do my own routines twice a week.

kassia

I agree that Anthony (in Art of Strength workouts) expects that you know the moves, but I started with the AOS video "Kettlebell Clinic," which has a very detailed tutorial disc and a workout disc.

Also, the "Moment of Strength" videos on the AOS website have load of info on proper technique. I've found it very helpful and refer to it often.

Thanks for the recommendations! I think Dicks carries the AOS series. I am going to pick up the first two tomorrow. It will be great to add that to my routine!:p

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.