Is This “Diet” Food Causing You to Gain Weight and Kill the Good Bacteria in Your Gut

I like to read articles like this that make me think and read other references! I have used Splenda, Stevia, and other non-sugar sweeteners where I can within limits. I know splenda is "super sweet" so do limit my use of it as well.

An interesting note - when you read the footnotes, you see that the decrease in gut bacteria was observed in rats - this Duke university study was later disputed by another panel of scientists (and one of the panel was a Duke university scientist - ouch).

"A study that was published in 2008 from Duke University found that sucralose kills beneficial bacteria in the gastrointestinal tract. (2)"

If you don't read the footnotes with the text, then you would only see this:
"A study that was published in 2008 from Duke University found that sucralose kills beneficial bacteria in the gastrointestinal tract. (2)" oh my, oh dear...

Hmm, no mention of the rats in that sentence, assumptions would be... humans! Not slamming the author of this article, this is a common way used to create excitement and controversy. Myself, I will continue to use Splenda - and table sugar and stevia - in moderation.

Thanks again for this :)

I like to read articles like this that make me think and read other references! I have used Splenda, Stevia, and other non-sugar sweeteners where I can within limits. I know splenda is "super sweet" so do limit my use of it as well.

I've used both too, the difference between Splenda & Stevia is : Splenda is an artificial sweetner , Stevia is natural.:)

I forwarded this link to my sister and brother-in-law. My BIL is diabetic and he drinks a ton of Diet Mt. Dew and uses Splenda in his coffee, thinking that he is better off. :( I swear, when it comes to any artificial chemical they create for human consumption...it seems they always eventually find something nasty about it!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.