Is step more beneficial than other cardio?

fitgoddess

Cathlete
I know that in terms of pure cardio, it does not matter what you do, as long as you are in the target heart rate zone. So you can do tennis, spin, swim, step, walk, jog...makes no difference, as long as you are in the heartrate zone.

But, I'm still wondering though if all cardio are not made alike when it comes to body shaping. For example, would tennis and swimming do more to tone your arms than spinning? And wouldn't Cathe's step workouts do more to sculpt your legs than walking or doing non-step floor aerobics? Is Cathe step "just cardio?" Or are you getting lots of body-shaping extra benefits from Cathe step that you would not get from other forms of cardio?

I think in terms of pure cardio, you're right it doesn't matter. But I also think you're right on the 2nd point. Steppers or spinners are going to have stronger, more developed legs. Tennis probably arms. I think that's why it's important to cross train or add weight work to even things out. \

Nan

I hope so....I'll be interested in other responses. That's been my rationale for the cardio I've chosen at times...spinning or cycling, step, kickboxing.....I'll be interested in reading the responses.

It's a good question.

I hope so....I'll be interested in other responses. That's been my rationale for the cardio I've chosen at times...spinning or cycling, step, kickboxing.....I'll be interested in reading the responses.

It's a good question.

I like to cross train for this reason. I don't think all cardio is equal. I bike, swim, do step, kick box, walk, and each hits the muscles differently, all work the heart.

I highly advocate cross training....now off to swim.

Different types of cardio do have different effects on the body: cycling, stepping, using a stepper are very lower-body focused, and stepping hits the quads in particular. Kickboxing is more of a full-body cardio and toning exercise (as is cross-country skiing and rowing), and it can hit the hamstrings well, especially if you focus on the chambering and recoil of the kicks. As you mentioned, tennis and swimming would definitely tone the upper body more than some other forms of cardio.

As others have said, a great reason for cross-training: both to have a more balanced effect on the body, and to avoid overuse injuries or injuries due to muscle imbalances.

I think one advantage step has over some other forms of cardio is that you can get a pretty intense workout in a relatively small amount of space, and stepping onto a riser increases the intensity of what would otherwise be floor aerobics without having to add as much impact.

You definitely want to do a variety of cardio. Not only does it keepthe body challenged, but there are some other benefits, as well. As others have stated, doing just one kind will create over-development in certain areas. People who do mainly step risk having over-developed quads, for example. Doing a variety will help balance that out. If you are going to do just one style, I would go with a total-body style, such as kickboxing or the Bootcamp and/or Drill Max style workouts. The functional gains from these will translate well into your everyday life, as well. (they support core functions more effectively than step does). Lastly, a variety will also lower your risk of over-use injuries (step and running can be hard on the knees, for example; just tennis runs risks in the upper extremities) Variety is the spice!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.