Is low carb necessary?

katia7

Cathlete
I was wondering if low carb is really necessary or is calories the main thing (no matter where they come from)?
I find that I'm less hungry on a higher carb diet, but was wondering if that's just all in my head.

It all depends on what you mean by high carb--are you talking about sugar or vegitables. A lot of people misinterpret low carb to mean low vegitable. If you are talking about sugar, I think it is necessary to go lower in your intake. You will feel more energy after an initial "withdrawal" from it. If you are talking about vegitables, rice & potatoes--I think if you eat rice & potatoes in moderation, you don't necessarily have to go low carb.

I know that probably isn't much help but I hope it is some.

I don't believe lo carb is necessary. I do believe as we get older and our metabolism lowers and we are not as efficient at burning the carbs and they have a tendency to turn in to fat at a faster pace. All the reading that I have done on this subject leads in this direction.

Speaking as one who follows a low carb diet, no I don't believe it is necessary! I think we're all made a little differently in that regard. A low carb way of eating really works for me, but it wouldn't for most of my friends and family, in the same way that low fat works for some but not others. I'm not sure I believe that calories are the main thing no matter where they come from though...eating basically "clean" foods, I am able to eat a lot more (and thus feel satisfied) than I would otherwise (from my past experience).

I think it's all a matter of calories in vs calories out. Your body needs as balance of all macro-nutrients--protein, carbohydrates and fat. The American Dietetic Association recommends about 15% of calories as protein, 25-30% as fat, and the rest as carbohydrate. The World Health ORganization (notice that these are groups concerned with HEALTH, not with losing weight) recommends a range of about 50-75% carbohydrates, based on the dietary intakes of healthy populations throughout the world (I'll get back with the reference to this if I can find it!).

I agree that people eat too many PROCESSED carbohydrates (white sugar, candy, white flour), but aside from that, I say bring on the carbs!

I can't wait for the low carb craze to pass--I'm SO TIRED of seeing "low carb" everywhere I turn! (Reminds me of the "low fat" craze about 10 years ago).

Hi,

You'll probably get some varied responses on this, but here's my take based on my own personal experience.

I do think it does matter where the calories come from, but I've found that it's better for me to focus more on a "Good Carb" diet as opposed to a "Low Carb" diet. By "Good Carb", I mean carbs that are processed as little as possible - whole grains, fruit, veggies, etc - with LOTS of variety. I really try to mold my diet to fuel my workouts. When the diet is lacking, I find the workouts show it. My general carb intake is probably around 60-75% of my diet.

I still partake of the refined stuff, but in moderation. ;-)

There are a number of folks on this forum who've had great results with low carb and swear by it, but I'm not one of them. My own brief flirtation with a low carb diet showed that my body doesn't respond well to it at all - my workouts and skiing went straight to hell and stayed there until started eating more carbs. Actually it took almost a month before I felt "normal" again. I really think it depends on the body.

Hope this helps. :)

I think the other posters here make a good point about the types of carbs. Veggies and fruits are carbs, but they're "good" carbs, and I believe they're necessary to a healthy diet. I suppose the percentage depends on your body chemistry and your personal beliefs. Whole grains are also "good" carbs, and I believe necessary as well. I did Atkins once, and while I did lose weight, I didn't feel well doing it. I also didn't keep it off. I realize there are many ways right now to do "low carb", but as in all weight loss programs, you have to find one that fits your needs, and your lifestyle. Also, if you plan to keep the weight off, I think it's important to find one that you can stick with for life. A lot of people lose weight, then gain it back, then lose it again, and on and on. That's not healthy for us in the long run. I hope this helps!

Carol
:)

I jumped on the low-carb bandwagon for a brief amount of time and did not have any energy at all to do my workouts. I need carbs for energy to fuel my workouts. My carbs are comprised of fruits and lots of vegetables plus the occasional whole wheat tortilla, bread, etc. I do try to limit my starchy carbs though and try to have them during lunchtime since I workout after work. It all comes down to burning off more calories than you are taking in.
HTH
Carolyn

Good question. I was extremely anti Atkins when it came out because I had several friends that had their arteries clogged (1 had to have bypass surgery) while on this diet, but I will stress they loaded up on fatty meats, no veggies. So I thought very little of this diet in general.

BUT....I began having candida issues and had to cut out the carbs in the form of sugars, breads, crackers, pasta, and as a result....I lost a lot of weight, but more amazingly I felt wonderful. Someone on another locarb posting mentioned the glycemic index diet and I want to check that out because I think this has probably been the main benefit to cutting carbs in my situation. When I stay with salads, veggies, lean protein, I remain very stable in my system, but when I eat simple carbs of any kind...my blood sugar soars and I get nervous, moody, etc. So....is lo carb necessary. For me it is, but everyone's different.

I think that many have benefited from it due to the cutting out of massive amounts of processed junk ie. fritos, doritos, little debbies, potatoe chips, white bread, on and on and on the list goes. So although, yes, it seems to be a fad, I think we as a country need to wake up and get back to basics...we are a very fat nation due to the fast food junk we are putting into our body. If lo carbing is helping get rid of this stuff then...more power to it. But don't substitute the "fake locarb money makers" in place of the hi carb processed foods. Eat your veggies, salads and unadulterated foods!!! (and by all means EXERCISE!!)

Briee

There are some great replies to this topic. I just thought I'd add my 2c:

Like Briee and the rest, I agree that everyone is different. I had the same kinds of problems, I would *bonk* it seemed like every day (feeling shakey, jittery, and generally low blood sugared). I thought it was the coffee, but I took that out and it didn't help. Then after reading some words of wisdom I started to experiment with protien/carb ratios on a per meal basis. I found that I was eating too many carbs. Even good carbs (plain oatmeal or plain whole grain toast) without any or enough protien would spike and drop my blood sugar and give me that shakey, false hungry feeling. I've found that I do best at a ratio of about 30-35% protien and 45-55 % carbs. I've always been anti-atkins and I'm in no way endorsing a low carb diet. It makes sense to tailor your diet to your own body's metabolism and needs.

ducky
aka Pam

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.