Is anybody from the Blacksburg, VA area?

pippa

Cathlete
I am thinking about moving to the Blacksburg area and going to Virginia Tech but I know nothing about that part of Virginia. Does anyone here live there or maybe used to live there? I'm just not sure where to begin in terms of is there a *better* part of Blacksburg, etc?

Any information or anybody who wants to lead me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I lived there YEARS ago when I was at school in Radford. I know it's grown a lot since, but it's still a small town. Of course, being a university/college town there's always lots to do as far as music, bars, etc. Not to mention all the college games and activities. It's a great place if you like outdoor activity, too. It's in the mountains and there are lots of places for camping and caving; it really is beautiful around there. And you have The New River for swimming and tubing and kayaking. Roanoke is the closest "city," and Richmond's about 3 hours away.

There are apartment complexes all over that are filled with students, and the downtown area use to have some cool funky apartments over some of the stores/restaurants.

Sorry I don't have more up-to-date info. I just know that I really liked it there. I know quite a few people whose kids go there now, and they love it.

Good luck!

Thanks, TeTe! I don't know anyone who lives there and I'll be moving there by myself so I'm a little nervous about the whole undertaking. I just don't want to end up living someplace unsafe--I don't mind being around college kids, though!:)

Oh, I think it's pretty safe...well, as safe as a small college town can be! Just watch out for the frat boys.:p I really think you'll like it. Best of luck to you!

I found this:

http://www.idcide.com/citydata/va/blacksburg.htm

Strange that they don't count the victims who were killed at Tech in 2007, but maybe they don't count crimes that are actually committed on-campus in the Blacksburg profile.

Oh, and there's this (Hell, I think I might want to move back to that area!):

Blacksburg has repeatedly been honored as one of the best places to live and work. Here are a few recent glowing reviews of our fair town.
Forbes Magazine: #10 in the 100 "Best Small Place For Business And Careers"
Money Magazine: #43 in the "100 Best Places To Live And Launch a Business"
Men's Journal: #8 in the "50 Best Places To Live In the United States"
Outside Magazine: Among the "Top Ten Dream Towns"
US News & World Report: "Best Places to Retire"
Mountain Homes Magazine: "Top 23 Mountain Towns"
Cities Ranked and Rated: #8 "Best Emerging Metropolitan Area"
Retirement Places Rated: Ranked 20th in the U.S., 1st in Virginia
Sperling's BestPlaces 2006: #3 "Most Secure Towns To Live In, In The U.S."
50 Best Small Southern Towns: Among the 50 best towns in the South.
Expansion Management Magazine: 5-Star "Knowledge Worker" and "Quality of Life"

Oh My Gosh..TeTe, you're the best! Now you have me really excited to move. I've been so nervous about moving since I don't really know anything about the area and I keep worrying that I'm going to end up living in a horror movie or something.;)

I'm in the middle of a divorce and worrying that I'm going to get hacked up by some mad man because I picked a lousy place to *start over* is the last thing I need.

You've made me feel so much better! Thank you, TeTe!

Glad TeTe could give you some good advice! I live about 2 hours north in Harrisonburg, VA. One of my good friends grew up in Blacksburg, I will ask her which neighborhoods are good!

Thanks, Katie! I really appreciate any input you can get for me. I'm thinking I will be in an apartment for a little while and I'd like to find something that is relatively close to the school. Thanks so much!:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.