Injection into lower back help scared

cecil

Cathlete
Hi ladies,

I am 43 years old and have been doing Cathe workouts for over 10 years. I have never had any back problems but about a year ago I started having pain in my low back on the left side only. After physical therapy and taking Naproxen every day its no better. I am going to get a steroid injection in my lower back l4-l5 next Wednesday. I am scared and wondering if anyone has had this done-any advice for me???
Anything I should know??? I still do Cathe and wear a brace to do the workouts since the doctors have all said not to change my workout routine-they say I have degenerative disc disease...........
UGGGG.....................

I can tell you anything you would ever want to know about anything back related! I had degenerative disc disease (have, actually).

The injections do work a lot of times. They only hurt for a minute or so, until the numbing shot takes effect. I just close my eyes and hold on to the pillow and breath!

If you can get by with an injection here and there and only otc meds, you are doing good. My disc was totally gone at the level below that, and I had to have it fused. It was successful, but now, 2 years later, the disc above that has torn and is causing issues. It is a progressive thing, like any age related problem!

Physical therapy is a good idea, if you haven't already been. The McKenzie exercises are a life saver for me, and is the only thing preventing me from a third surgery now. Well, plus the injections and pain meds.

There are risks with injections just like most medical procedures. I personally have never experienced any.

Good luck to you and let me know how it goes.

Thank you both so much you have eased my mind quite a bit. Horselady 21 do you have horses? I have 2 horses and I don't ever want to not be able to ride. I also do not want to not be able to do Cathe. Her videos have changed my life and I enjoy doing them and look forward to them. So far all the doctors have told me not to stop exercising the way I have been. The only move I cant do is burpees and I can do them but choose not to since they do hurt quite a bit. I still do all the high impact and lift very heavy on the weights. I am getting a series of 2 shots-one next Wednesday and the second one the Wednesday after that so I will let you know how it goes. Thank you grateful dog about not jumping back into Cathe right away. I need to slow it down and take it easy until I can get back into it. I really appreciate you both very much for responding.
Lisa

I had an Appaloosa stallion that I showed until I sold him about 10 years ago. Riding was one of the things that did my back in! I haven't ridden since. But you can if your horse has a smooth gait.

Be very careful doing workouts! Your body needs a chance to heal. Low impact, no or low weights. You don't want to do permanent nerve damage.

I am humbled by this thread. You ladies have real grit and determination. You have my utmost respect. Good luck with your procedure Cecil; and I hope that all of you ladies can live healthy, pain-free lives!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.