Inducing Labor

R

redhead1

Yesterday I was at the doctor and he told me something that surprised me -- he said about 80% of their patients choose to be induced!

He said that 1) They are afraid of getting stuck in traffic; 2) They want to know which doctor will handle the delivery; 3) It is easier to make arrangements; and 4) They want to get the baby OUT!

I told him I was really surprised. I had always thought that Induced Labor was something that you didn't really want and only did if something was wrong. He kind of chuckled and said I would feel differently when I was at 38 weeks!

He also said there's nothing unsafe, or less pleasant, about inducing (if you have an epidural, which I personally would want anyway) as long as you were at least 38 weeks along and your cervix was ... Something --- I forget the word.

I went home and looked at "What to Expect," which said labor shouldn't be induced unless there is a problem. Now I'm confused! Has anyone here induced just for convenience? What are the pros and cons?

Thanks,
Jen

Inducing

My impression is that it's mostly more convenient for the doctor. Check out some of the books by Henci Goer for better information on it, though.

different strokes

for different docs, I guess! Mine won't induce for the sake of convenience, he only uses induction when it is medically indicated for either mom or baby's sake. But docs have different philosophies, that's for sure. As long as you and your doc agree on philosophy, that's what matters!

Wow!

I have to say my doctor wouldn't induce either unless there were a medical need (like preeclampsia or fetal distress or something). In fact I didn't know until recently (the last two or three years) that you can request that AND doctors would do it!

But I have to admit at 38 weeks I was more than ready to have my last baby (No. 2) I spent literally hours a day broken up on my treadmill trying to "induce" to no avail...when the baby's ready they are ready.

What I have to wonder is what percentage of induced labors end up C-sections for failure to progress? It just seems odd to me.

Stephanie

Induction is pretty safe, but-

I don't know of anyone with a Dr. that would induce for the patients convenience. I think that is really a control thing. There certainly are a lot of reasons that are considered "medically necessary" by one Dr. that wouldn't by another. For some, not having delivered by your due date makes induction a medical necessity, which we all know isn't true, but by that time no longer care!

I would suggest not inducing unless your cervix is ripe- at least that way your body has given some indication that it is ready. I think that if you are 100% certain you are past 38 weeks (the closer to 40 the better), and planning to have an epidural anyway, there probably isn't much difference in a planned induction vs. "natural childbirth". Especially since lots of labors slow down or stop once the epi is in, and need the pitocin anyway.

That said, I chose not to have an epidural (either time) and not to have an induction (either time, although I had one the first time anyway, it was NOT my choice). I vastly preferred the feeling of doing everything myself, rather than being a passive vessel manipulated with drugs. Much though my body did all the same work the first time, I felt like a puppet. I had no control, I was being manipulated by the drip. Personally, I did not like that feeling at all.

I was induced 4 out of 5 times

<center><font size="1" color="#ff0000">LAST EDITED ON Sep-01-00 AT 09:27AM (EST)</font></center>

My main impression of the difference is that I went longer without needing pain medication with the natural labor. In fact, I went so long that by the time I asked for it, it was too late, he (#2) would be born before it took effect. (With the other kids I told them right up front not to let me go too long without pain medication-let's just say natural childbirth is not for me-ha!) I was always 1-11 days late, walking around for weeks with a ripe cervix. My reasons ranged from baby flunking heart stress test (turned out cord was around her neck 5 times) or my doctor was leaving town and I wanted only him (2 times). The last time was out and out convenience for us. I was induced on Fri, my husband had the next two weeks off on vacation and the baby was born 8/28. You see, the school cutoff date here is 9/1 and we wanted the option open to send him to school earlier (if he's ready of course) since my Dh was 48 and I was 39 when he was born. We'll have kids at home till Dh is 66! If I had not been overdue and totally ready to deliver each time, I wouldn't have chosen to induce, of
course, but it worked out fine for me-short labors whether induced or natural. Good Luck!
P.S. One of my induced labors ended up C-section because the umbilical cord was coming out first, but this can happen with non-induced deliveries also. Leslie

Good for you!!

I know it's a personal choice and everyone has to decide for themselves, but I hope to have my children as naturally as possible as well. I admire you for that!

Your doc's right about one thing

When you get to 38 weeks, you probably WILL want to be induced!
wink.gif
I didn't want to be induced either, but I was so uncomfortable the last several weeks that there was no way I felt I could physically or mentally handle waiting until 42 weeks (when ACOG guidelines say that induction is indicated where no other problems have arisen).
My doc offered to induce me at my convenience once my due date had passed because she was concerned about the baby getting too big, which I assumed (but didn't confirm) would increase the chance of a C-section. I ended up going into labor the day before my scheduled induction anyway, although I still needed the prostoglandin pill and pitocin or I'd still be trying to get that baby out (she was at -3 station when labor began)!

I'd wait to see how I felt as the time draws nearer. Don't let your doctor pressure you into it just to fit his or her schedule (let's face it, the doc is only there for such a short period of time -- just make sure you get great labor and delivery nurses!).

my opinion

I was induced with #1 and went naturally (with epideral) for #2. With my first I was 10 days overdue and my cervix was 100% effaced and dialated to a 3 for a while. I was more than glad to get him out at that point but it was not a pleasant experience. In fact, it took a few hours for the pitocin to really take effect and the nurses weren't checking me that well since they didn't see any change. By the time the anesthesiologist came with the epideral I was in pain. After I got the epideral they checked me and I was between a 9 and a 10. Yikes. Those contractions when you are induced are very powerful.

Ok, number two came 2 days early. I really wanted to let my body do the labor so bad that I wouldn't get induced unless I was way over again. I was so worried because I didn't know what labor was like and this wasn't my first child. I felt pretty dumb about it. But, my water broke in the middle of the night and the contractions started about an hour later. It was such a great experience. The anesthesiologist was already at the hospital and so I could have an epideral whenever I wanted - right away if I wanted. I waitied a couple of hours and felt like such a wimp asking for one because it wasn't painful or anything yet. I could have gone longer - but I didn't want to feel those terrible contractions again. It was a much more pleasant experience.

My friend has a doctor who schedules everyone's delivery. I call him Dr. Induction. It is frustrating to hear people who are due after you having their babies before you - even by 2 or 3 weeks before you. In fact, I had a waitress while I was pregnant with my first who had Dr. Induction and she was due April 20th and had the baby April 4th. I was due April 10th and had him April 18th. Some doctors think you babies should never get over 6 pounds. Mine weighed more and were no problem for me.

On the other hand, I have a friend who just had her third baby. She went into labor on her own with the first two and had miserable experiences, like being in labor for 3 days. She got induced this time and had a wonderful experience.

I would never tell a pregnant woman who was 38 weeks along that she has made the wrong decision one way or another. It really depends in the circumstances and how you feel. I would induce if it were a matter of beating a school deadline or if I had family in town to help and I hadn't delivered yet, but only if my cervix was ready.

Couldn't resist...

getting in on this one. I went into labor with my first 3 children on my own and delivered naturally no drugs etc. My 4th I went in to labor (twice!) on my own. The second time I had been having good contractions for hours so we decided to augment labor and use pitocin to move it along.She was a facial presentation,a little scary, but I also had her naturally. My 5th we decided to induce if things were favorable -- my dr was going out of town and we had 4kids to find aplace for.Plus I am one of those women who goes into labor and once my water breaks the baby is delivered 20-30 minutes later (even with my first- the dr had thought since it was #1 he could leave the hospital for awhile-- they ended up yelling for a doc and telling me NOT to push-- they tell you to pant like a dog which does not work!) and we live 30 min from the hospital so these were all considerations. I delivered her naturally also. Went in at 10 am she was born by lunch. Also a great experience and nice to have the dr keeping close tabs on you because he is right there instead of at home in bed! Lastly, I went into labor on my own just a month ago and chose to have an epidural. Since my labors progress quickly I had to have it early to insure it would be working when I delivered. We chose to augment labor with pit again so the labor wouldn't die with the early epi. BTW I was still able to be a participant in the delivery and not a "puppet" although I did need help getting my legs into the stirrups. I was able to get baby out in 1 push. The pain was much more manageable although I did not like the squishy, water baby feeling your behind and legs have and not being able to "feel" where the push was coming from. good things and bad about each and not sure which way I would choose the next time around ( natural or epi). I have delivered all my children at 40 wks and been 3- 31/2 cm and 50 % or more effaced b4 choosing any of these options ( ripe for delivery at anytime).Anyway, I think there are many safe, options out there and I think it is important to be informed in your choices and then do what feels right for you and your Dr. Afterall you are a team working together to do what is best for you and your baby! Oops I was carried away--sorry so LW

My 2 cents

<center><font size="1" color="#ff0000">LAST EDITED ON Sep-03-00 AT 02:45AM (EST)</font></center>

My doctor believed in induction only as a last resort-- he tried everything to make me deliver naturally (I was in labor for 68 hours.) Induction did make things progress quickly, but I've heard it makes the pain more intense (which was a consideration for me since I had my baby in Italy, where most doctors don't believe in pain-relief during childbirth. They want the birth to be as clean and natural as possible.) I ended up having a C-section (cord around the neck) and I learned that the only important thing is to have a healthy baby and mother. Everything else is secondary.

But, although you'll want the baby out at 38 weeks (possibly sooner! ), I've heard that "natural" labors are "easier" (if there can be such a thing) than induced labors. If I ever have another baby, I will try to go all-natural. Since I've only had one baby, I can't compare for myself whether induction does make it more painful.

Good luck and enjoy this special time!
Jenne

This has been an interesting strand

I am presently 21 weeks and my doctor has already informed me that she won't let me go over. She said that as my due date gets closer she wants to keep a real close eye on my baby's size. My last baby (11 years ago) was 8lbs 10oz. I am 37 years old and she doesn't seem to want to put me through an extremely hard labor. I am very healthy and in good shape. I don't understand this though because neither of my labors have been very hard (7 and 5 hours). After reading this strand I am going to ask more questions. I dont' want to be weeks overdue( I was 2 days with one and 8 days with the other.) but I do want to do what is best for my baby. Thanks for sharing your stories and advice. wr

I'm scheduled for this week

This is quite a timely thread for me because I'm scheduled to be induced on Thursday. I'm almost to 41 weeks, and although my cervix has softened a little, I'm not effaced and I haven't dialated at all. My doctor said she feels it's important to "get the baby out of me" this week. Since I'm very confident my due date was predicted correctly and I'm now overdue, I agree with her. It's not for the sake of anyone's schedule. I'm glad I got the chance to read all your posts about being induced. It's my first, and I must say I'm a little scared. And maybe the baby will come in the next two days on its own.

Good Luck, Alison! Let's all send contraction vibes your way!

Ok gals, think if we all put out mind to it we can get Alison to go into labor naturally? My first was 11 days overdue and the doc told me to be at the hospital 6 a.m. Thurs morning if I hadn't gone on my own before then. I still remember not sleeping the night before from the nerves. Good luck to you, everything will be fine, I'm sure. The first time is the worst since you don't know what to expect. Take care, Leslie

Good luck Alison!

One positive thing about inducing is that it usually makes things go pretty quickly. It took me from 2 to 10 in six hours. And, honestly, what everyone says is true... it's all worth it once you hold that darling baby. I would have walked through fire for my baby once I held him. And eventually, the memory of the pain gets duller.

But, here's some contraction vibes for you ~~~~*~~~~*

Sending contraction vibes

I am sending positive vibes and hope for you a positive labor experience, of course in the end holding the baby it's all worth it :)

Stephanie

Thanks for the Vibes!

Thanks for the vibes and well wishes everyone. I'm still sitting home without contractions, but I still have a little more time. I know I won't sleep much Wednesday night knowing I'll have a baby the next day, especially since I have to spend that night in the hospital, which I've never done before (yes, I know I'm lucky on that one). Here's hoping for some contractions in the next 28 hours!

Alison

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.