Increased hunger when working out.

jrossi

Cathlete
I just started working out after having a baby three months ago. I seem to have an insatiable appetite on days that I work out. Does this go away eventually? I have to make sure I have "clean" food in the house or I'll go for the junk first. Ughh. I have been working out for about two weeks now. I'm 5'7" and have 15 lbs to lose to get to pre-preg weight and about another 10 lbs after that...

Ya! I did Butts and Gutts today (only butts part) and the hunger came on like crazy. I must take into account that I'm nursing too....But even when I would start exercising before I got pregnant, the hunger was still there.

Jennifer

Hi all,

It's nice to hear that others experience the same thing! I'm usually OK with regular eating the rest of the day after doing one of Cathe's cardio workouts, but I'm RAVENOUS after a weight or circuit workout the rest of the day! Is it because of our muscles needing fuel to re-build?

Leanne

first congrats on your new bundle of joy. second, are you still breast feeding? if you are it is important not to cut cals too much. what are you eating in a day? mabe you are not eating enough to fuel your workouts.

I second the hunger thing! As someone above me asked...are you still breastfeeding?? I have a 9 week old and I am still breastfeeding and on the days that I exercise, my appetite is out of control. The only thing I can attribute it too is breastfeeding and my body needing those calories to produce milk. I'm not really losing weight yet, but I am regaining my strength again. I figure the weight thing will come off when my body is ready to release it. You are doing a great job keeping clean food in the house. I have to do the same thing.

Yes, I'm still breastfeeding. Mitch is about 3 1/2 months.

B: Homemade granola and pineapple
S: peanutbutter
L: probably PB&J with milk and fresh pineapple
D: chicken and veggie with milk.

I snack throughout the day on grapes, granola, apples.
Yesterday we had Sunchips (cheddar) in the house from Sam's. I polished the bag off.......
I do pretty good overall, but snacking can be bad a lot of the times. Oh, and I guess the peanut nutter butter bars I have been snacking on the last few days. Oh boy.

Before I started working out a few weeks ago my weight has been at about 163 for two months. Now I think I am about 161. I know weight is not a good thing to go by but me feet kill me because of it. My arches hurt so bad. I just need to lose at least 10 lbs to give my feet a break. I'm rambling.... I can't wait to be able to get back into my old clothes. My closet is just a mess. I have prepreg. clothes, preg. clothes, postpartum clothes and nursing clothes...

Jennifer

It must be the hormones. I have never, ever had the problem of being hungry when I work out, but now I do. I'm 6 months pregnant. I feel hungry a lot these days, even when I wake up in the morning. I'm certainly eating and gaining, so I can't understand this. But as I said, before pregnancy, I never felt hungry whether resting or working out. I'm frustrated too.
Manmohini

I know the frustration. But I know you should answer those hunger cravings as you are growing a little miracle in your belly! It is hard when you are in the midst of it that's for sure. I have a friend who told me that this is a "season" in your life and it won't last forever. Try to enjoy it as much as possible.

Well, here I am almost four months PP and I am trying to get my shape back. My husband doesn't think I look bad, but I know I am not at my optimal fitness. I didn't work out that much when I was pregnant so you are doing awesome!(I just found out about Cathe three weeks ago) So your body is growning a baby and needs the extra calories to support your workouts! You are healthy and that's great!

Jennifer

I actually feel ravenous sometimes WHILE while working out. And I should add it's not b/c I didn't eat. Heck, I'm always hungry :-(

I can relate. Never in my life had I been so hungry as when I was pregnant. I am still bfing my 8 month old and still starving and my snacking is a constant battle. I am also struggling b/c dd is milk intolerant and I relied on yogurts while prepregnancy for a snack or lunch accompaniment. I miss them! A great filler when hungry and needing a healthy snack - no sugar. I also miss nuts - I used to eat them too, but her father has a nut allergy, so I am very careful.

My fitness really started to improve around the 6 month mark, but my feet are taking a beating as well from the extra weight!x(

I think I'm resigned to just working out now and dealing with my weight once I am no longer bfing. From what I have heard, it is very normal to feel very hungry while bfing and working out. Some ppl really shed the weight, while others (like me) struggle. It's more important to take care of and be kind to yourself. :)

>Yep, absolutely! The more I work out, the more I eat!
>
>In fact, when I work out less, I lose weight.

Me too, jm. The less I work out, the less I weigh. I definitely don't work out for weight control. I work out for health, to control stress, and to grow old gracefully. I also like the way I look when I'm toned.
:D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.