Important info on 'natural' foods (watch)

Kathryn, thank you for posting this! I always assumed my beloved Kashi Go Lean was good for me (high protein and lots of fiber) and have been eating it exclusivley for more than 6 years :confused:! After reading the cereal list on Cornucopia's website I see that I'm going to have to hunt down an alternative. What an eye opener!

Kathryn, Thank you for posting this. The video is very informative. I checked out the Cornucopia Institute website as well and found it to be a treasure of info on organic foods. Even better, I signed up for their newsletter. Thanks again!

I think I found a good substitute for Kashi Go Lean! It's Nature's Path Optimum Slim Cereal that boasts "Vanilla-scented multi-whole grain flakes with a whopping 9 grams of protein and 9 grams of dietary fiber. Only 2 grams of total fat per serving." Nature's Path scored VERY well on the "cereal list". HOORAY!!!!! Off to Whole Foods I go.....:eek:

I stopped trusting (and eating) Kashi several years ago, before the USDA Organic labeling act was passed, and Kashi put "all organic ingredients" on the front of their packages, but had no organic certification mentioned, nor had any of the ingredients listed as organic.

I figured out what THEY meant by it (and tried to fool the consumers into thinking differently) was that the ingredients were not INorganic matter, like rocks. :confused::mad:

Pretty much any corn, soy, canola or cotton (as in cottonseed oil) products that are not organic or specifically labeled "non-GMO") are genetically modified. And corn products show up in processed foods in a lot of different ways.

Thank you for posting this Kathryn. GMO's make my blood boil and I could go into a tangent but I'll spare y'all and not ;) I'll definitely check out C.I.'s website. I've been buying Annie's snacks for my kids for years and had no idea it was genetically modified.

Are you serious?? Really??? I may as well eat dirt and just die!!!! WTH is there anything else I shouldn't eat???? Isn't everything we eat today processed in some way or another?

I'd rather eat a bowl of kashi cereal anytime than eat a bacon egg and cheese or frosty flakes or bagel with cream cheese....And even on the weekends I will have a bagel with cream cheese and a coffee with real sugar and whole fat milk. Life is too short to be sooo rigid let's enjoy ourselves people you only live once!

Are you serious?? Really??? I may as well eat dirt and just die!!!! WTH is there anything else I shouldn't eat???? Isn't everything we eat today processed in some way or another?
It's your choice, but I believe in being informed before making choices that affect my health.

And no, not everything is processed: fresh foods aren't.

There are a lot of options beyond bacon, eggs, cheese, frosted flakes (and dirt!) and kashi that are both delicious and healthy. I personally enjoy--and don't feel any deprivation or 'rigidity' when eating--organic oats with hemp milk, maple syrup, chopped nuts and dried organic wild blueberries ! ;)

Last edited:
I think I found a good substitute for Kashi Go Lean! It's Nature's Path Optimum Slim Cereal that boasts "Vanilla-scented multi-whole grain flakes with a whopping 9 grams of protein and 9 grams of dietary fiber. Only 2 grams of total fat per serving." Nature's Path scored VERY well on the "cereal list". HOORAY!!!!! Off to Whole Foods I go.....:eek:
Glad you found a substitute. I've tried a couple of the Nature's Path cereals, and thought they were good.

Thank you for posting this Kathryn. GMO's make my blood boil and I could go into a tangent but I'll spare y'all and not ;) I'll definitely check out C.I.'s website. I've been buying Annie's snacks for my kids for years and had no idea it was genetically modified.

UGH! +1 here!

I've pretty much cut out all processed "foods," period, because I realize more and more that it's not food at all. I indulge here and there when I feel like it, but no longer am I fooled into thinking that anything that comes in a plastic or paper package qualifies as sustenance. Except for those delicious mini cucumbers that come in a package - wish they didn't, but they do and I love them!

It's your choice, but I believe in being informed before making choices that affect my health.

There are a lot of options beyond bacon, eggs, cheese, frosted flakes (and dirt!) and kashi that are both delicious and healthy. I personally enjoy--and don't feel any deprivation or 'rigidity' when eating--organic oats with hemp milk, maple syrup, chopped nuts and dried organic wild blueberries ! ;)

Agreed. Humans are meant to eat fresh, whole foods, and yes, I totally get that even those are being messed with. To assume, though, that if all packaged foods disappeared tomorrow, we'd never be able to eat again is wrong. It does suck to be told that your favorites aren't so good for you, though. It took me years of denial and then years of transition.

I am currently at my parents' house and their garden has become over run with parsley. Fresh-picked hearty parsley is delicious - even sweet. I'm literally eating it like candy and putting it into everything. My dream is to grow my own food, because when eating it fresh off the tree or out of the ground, you realize that this food is AMAZING and that living off of it doesn't seem like a punishment but like paradise.

I hate what this country has done to our perception of food over the last century.

While I agree that natural whole foods are the way to go, few people have the means to eat that way.

Maybe its different in other parts of the country, but I live in the Northern NJ and prices are insane. A pint of organic strawberries are $6. My two teenager eat three of those in a couple of days and that's just the start of it.

We really need to do a better job with making these type of foods more affordable for all.

TOTALLY agree! I'm beyond angry when I see that a family-sized bag of cheetos is cheaper than a couple of apples. Nothing more pathetic than that.:(

Thanks for the information. I learn so much on here. At least I know that when I eat the Cheetos I'm eating crap lol. I was another kashi eater ugh so uneducated :( :) thanks

While I agree that natural whole foods are the way to go, few people have the means to eat that way.

Maybe its different in other parts of the country, but I live in the Northern NJ and prices are insane. A pint of organic strawberries are $6. My two teenager eat three of those in a couple of days and that's just the start of it.

We really need to do a better job with making these type of foods more affordable for all.

It is hard - trying to eat 'in season' helps and frozen produce can sometimes be more economical too. My sons inhale berries and it can get expensive!

I've been pushing the apples lately since they are so abundant and less expensive.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.