IMPORTANCE OF ROTATION

crgardner

Hello to all,
I keep reading about the dvd rotations, etc and I have a couple of questions. The only exercises I do right about now are step tapes. I do Step Max usually every other day (I have a hard time doing the 3rd segment though) and I do Karen Voight also. My goal is to lose body fat. I have about 50 pounds I need to lose. My question is: Is it bad to keep doing the same steps tapes over and over? Do I need to include some other things in my workouts? I am very pear shaped so I am really trying to target my lower body right now.

And advice will help :)

I used to do something very similar to you. I was terrified of change, but the almost as soon as I began incorporating new and different videos into my week, I saw improvements. You don't need to do a set amount of videos each week for 6 weeks if it isn't your thing, but I would suggest doing some weight training and also, doing something other than step like kickbox, hi/lo, walking, swimming, etc. Another thing I found beneficial was doing 1 interval workout a week, 1 steady state cardio workout a week, and 1 circuit type workout a week. Hope this helped.

You need to change it up!! Shock your system in a good way with a variety of new exercises. We have what is called "muscle memory" and just like our brain's memory system, our muscles memorize the same way. So, think about it...You muscles have really memorized what you are asking them to do, so it becomes easier for them to meet the goal.(ie) taking longer to get a good sweat, bordom, doing it with your eyes closed, faster recovery, etc)

If you change things up a bit, your muscles will literally have to work harder to memorize the new moves. You will think that you are out of shape even if you tried a new floor hi/low tape. Not so, it is just something new your body's muscles are learning.

just my two cents!?!

jenni

I have lost 87 pounds through lifestyle changes (WW and exercise). I started out doing floor aerobics and realized that in order to continue to lose weight I had to change it up. I added step, running, kicboxing and weight training along the way of losing weight. It not only helps to break plateaus, it helps with the fun factor as well.

Good luck,
Tamikka

http://www.geocities.com/mikkame77/weight_loss1

Hello to all,

Thanks for all the advice :)

I have tried kickboxing, but could not get into it. I will try and give it a chance once more :) Lunges right now are the hardest thing for me to do. I have done a couple of hi/lo aerobics and just felt like I was about to pass out, but now I know I was just pushing myself too hard. Yoga seems to be very relaxing to me also. The tapes I have by Cathe are Step Max, MIC, Rhythmic Step and All Step. I really have never done weight training but I have heard that Lifting Weights for dummies is a good place to start at.

Just curious, but have you tried Cathe's kickboxing workouts? I was never a big fan of Tae Bo or others, but I absolutely love Cathe's style. Give it a try...you may surprise yourself!

Good for you for working out! I used to only do step tapes and then my knees started feeling it and I had to cut back for awhile (I was in my early 20s). I agree with the others- crosstrain. You'll see results faster and not reach a plateau.

I don't care for kickboxing either. Try hi/lo aerobics, The Firm tapes (most are cardio mixed with weight training and there are tons of choices), weight training tapes, walking, jogging. If you can't afford other Cathe videos which can be pricey (but worth it), I'd look on ebay or go to Target- they have a lot of videos available for around $10. Check out reviews at videofitness.com

Good luck

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.