If fitness is a journey...

Joey

What happens when you reach the end of the road? Let's say you're in great shape, you can't lift any heavier without injuring yourself, and you're facing the prospect of being stuck in maintenance mode for the rest of your life. You would have to come up with new goals, right? Can anybody share what some of their new goals would be?

Aside from the usual, "enter a triathalon/marathon/etc", how about trying to improve a different component of fitness, like flexibility or cardio capacity?

My goal for age 40 was to be able to do a split and, after adding yoga, was able to reach it. My goal for 41 was to be able to do 5 big girl pushups (I'm HORRIBLE at pushups!) and I reached that goal too. For 42, I'd like to be able to do a "teaser" because my core could use some strengthening. I try to focus on fitness goals as opposed to aesthetic or competetive goals.

Or, if you have time, you could take up a new sport/hobby and become relatively proficient at it. I like setting goals! It's so motivating when you reach one.

Put that fitness to use:

1) do a sponsored marathon or whatever for your favourite charity

2) get involved in volunteering to coach sports or fitness in your local community, to kids or adults

3) take up mountaineering (that will test your endurance, strength and your balls!) and get out and see the world!

Have fun,

CLare (who is along way off from achieving all her fitness goals!!)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.