Ideas for Hubby's Cooler Lunches

morgs

Cathlete
Silly subject I know, But I am Stumped. My hubby , who used to work about a block away from work would always come home during his lunch hour, but now
( since January of '09 ) he's been working about 15 minutes away from work. To avoid having to 'go out' for a fast-food lunch every day I have been packing him a cooler with stuff to tide him over for the day. I usually pack him some juice, mini muffins, and a banana for breakfast. For lunch, a sandwhich, his fave soda or water, and whatever chips he decides he wants for the day. He's a pretty easy guy to please when it comes to food, but , he's getting really tired of sandwhiches for lunch. His work place does have a break room, but not a cafeteria so eating a hot meal is kind of out of the question. I have packed him left over hot dishes and pizzas, but, it's also a lot of work to heat stuff up and then head back to your desk and work with a tupper wear dish full of messy hot dish or pizza. Any ideas on what I could pack him besides the old school sandwhich. I've considered those ' lunchables' but I fear that would just not be enough for him.

Also, if anyone has any quick recipes such as wraps, or salads that a 'meat & potatoes' guy would like; please do share.

Thanks all !

Morgs

Purchase a food thermos. You can put heated food in the morning and the food should remain hot enough or his lunch.

You could put pasta dishes, lasagna, stews, soups, hot roasted shredded chicken or beef or basically whatever.

DH takes his lunch 3 or 4 days a week, and I take mine nearly every day. How about frozen food in a box? If he has a frzzer or microwave, he could do that. I lot of it is crap, but Kashi makes some decent stuff, and so does Healthy Choice. I wouldn't eat it everyday, but once a week or so?

Nan

I agree with the thermos - you could do some hearty soups, either homemade or canned (just watch sodium and MSG - some are LOADED)
or
hummus in a small tupperware bowl with pepper strips/cucumber or pita chips
cheese stick and triscuits
fruit
make a healthy meatloaf and send him with meatloaf sandwiches
chicken wraps with avocado and ranch dressing
baked beans in thermos
cold leftover pizza (yum!)

Make sure you put some seductive love notes in there for him too ;)
tee hee..
Heidi

Ziploc sells a new container that resembles the Lunchables containers.

http://a1468.g.akamai.net/f/1468/580/1d/pics.Drugstore.com/prodimg/220989/300.JPG

It has 3 or 4 compartments and a lid that holds each compartment separate so even if it gets turned upside down they don't leak together. I see kids at school with these and the parents fill them up to make their own home-made Lunchables......peanut butter, jelly, crackers; apple wedges, peanut butter, raisins; lunch meat, crackers, cheese slices; etc.

Last edited:
Oh, I know the problem when you have to buy something but you don’t know about this thing yet. If the deal with thermoses I recommend you just watch best thermos to keep food warm list. It is a really good guide that helped me to make the choice. I wish every product have a website like this. Really useful and so saving time!

Check on Food.com. There are many recipes for healthy salads using quinoa, and other healthy ingredients. There is a recipe on there for Quinoa Mediterranean Salad, that is delicious and filling. But, you may get some good ideas on the website.

If you use a thermos, put boiling water in it as soon as you wake up - keeps the food hotter longer!

I started making my DH lunch recently too.

Something that looked interesting but haven't tried yet; "Mason Salad jars"recipes, love the idea of adding the dressing first then veggies, meat, beans and greens last so they don't get soggy then pouring it onto plate when ready. Looking forward to reinventing some left overs like taco meat, or chicken when I have some extra.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.