ICE Series or XTRAIN??

Veronica28

Hi everyone. I have done Hammer and Chisel and 21 Day Fix Extreme by Beachbody as well as parts of Body Revolution by Jillian Michaels. I found the On-Demand by Cathe and really am stuck at what I should do next. Can anyone give me some help in deciding? Your reviews are greatly appreciated.

I am VERY partial to XTrain. Love the 4 rotations that come with it (in User's Guide). There are both 30 and 90 day options. I find XTrain has it all - intense cardio and lots of intense weight training. The cardio has both steady state, and hiit. And there are both low and high impact hitt workout options. The weight training has both strength building and endurance building options. It has 2 ab routines and some wonderfully challenging 100 rep challenge options. If I had to only buy one program - this would be it! Sooo comprehensive! And XTrain is based on the great, research based undulating periodization method that is sure to bring results!

Last edited:
I am VERY partial to XTrain. Love the 4 rotations that come with it (in User's Guide). There are both 30 and 90 day options. I find XTrain has it all - intense cardio and lots of intense weight training. The cardio has both steady state, and hiit. And there are both low and high impact hitt workout options. The weight training has both strength building and endurance building options. It has 2 ab routines and some wonderfully challenging 100 rep challenge options. If I had to only buy one program - this would be it! Sooo comprehensive! And XTrain is based on the undulating periodization - a great, research based method that is sure to bring results!
Thank you so much - this is very helpful. You have definitely "talked" me into XTrain. ;))

I agree! I've done P90X P90X2, P90X3, Cathe STS, Insanity, Insanity Asylum, and XTrain. I tried Hammer & Chisel, but I wasn't fond of either Sagi or Autumn. Neither of them compare to Cathe, Tony, or ShawnT IMHO and I thought the warmup/stretch was downright pathetic in all the ones that I tried (I only made it through one week and decided I didn't like it enough to continue). I also felt like I was training the same body parts on consecutive days, and I don't like to do that. My favorite by far of all of these systems has been XTrain. Love it!

All the P90X series have great weight training and so-so cardio. Insanity is great cardio but only body weight training. Cathe STS is fabulous but just weight training. Xtrain has it all, and every workout is fabulous. The only one that I wasn't wild about was the kickboxing one, but its still on par with any cardio from P90X IMHO.

I've read on this forum that ICE is more intermediate, so I've stayed clear of it.

I agree! I've done P90X P90X2, P90X3, Cathe STS, Insanity, Insanity Asylum, and XTrain. I tried Hammer & Chisel, but I wasn't fond of either Sagi or Autumn. Neither of them compare to Cathe, Tony, or ShawnT IMHO and I thought the warmup/stretch was downright pathetic in all the ones that I tried (I only made it through one week and decided I didn't like it enough to continue). I also felt like I was training the same body parts on consecutive days, and I don't like to do that. My favorite by far of all of these systems has been XTrain. Love it!

All the P90X series have great weight training and so-so cardio. Insanity is great cardio but only body weight training. Cathe STS is fabulous but just weight training. Xtrain has it all, and every workout is fabulous. The only one that I wasn't wild about was the kickboxing one, but its still on par with any cardio from P90X IMHO.

I've read on this forum that ICE is more intermediate, so I've stayed clear of it.
Thank you so much! I truly appreciate your information and very helpful!

There's not a whole lot that's intermediate about ICE. Add in the BB and the MM and it's all advanced. Do all the MMS back to back or all the BBs, or 2 ICE workouts back to back and tell me how you feel tomorrow. Lots of ways to work it. A versatile series that has plenty of advanced addicts hooked.

Clare

There's not a whole lot that's intermediate about ICE. Add in the BB and the MM and it's all advanced. Do all the MMS back to back or all the BBs, or 2 ICE workouts back to back and tell me how you feel tomorrow. Lots of ways to work it. A versatile series that has plenty of advanced addicts hooked.

Clare
Thank you so much Clare! I agree, you can always make any workout harder by doing multiples or adding weights or different premises. I have purchased on demand for the month so I will be able to do a sampling of all. now I need to decide on an aerobic stepper to buy, how long it should be (43”, 30”, 26”, etc.) for my small workout area and being effective.

Veronica28,

Top to bottom, I find XTrain to be an A-1 series and one that you will get driven results and keep you motivated. It's possibly one of my favorite series but then again, all of Cathe's series are my favorite. Also don't underestimate or avoid intermediate Cathe workouts. As Clare indicated, ICE is geared towards both intermediate and the advanced exercisers. If you're ONDemand, you have the beauty of all her workouts, so enjoy either one and tell us what you think. Good luck in choosing your next series.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.