I think I dodged a bullet

lily64

Cathlete
On Friday, April 21, I was diagnosed with breast cancer. This was a complete shock since I've always been so health conscious. I'm currently doing Cathe's Strong & Sweaty/Ripped with HIIT rotation & hadn't noticed any change in my energy. I'm the one who stays healthy when everyone around me is hacking and coughing. It didn't seem possible that cancer could have invaded my body. I was due for my mammogram in April 2016, but I let life get in way and missed getting in until the first week of April this year. I have been beating myself up for missing last year's mammogram.

Thankfully, every bit of information that I have received since the initial diagnosis has been good news. The tumors (there are 2, but they thought there might be as many as 4) are both small and early stage. The lymph nodes look good & all of my prognostic factors are good. My treatment plan is a lumpectomy (outpatient surgery) with radiation treatment. Surgery is scheduled for next week.

I'm a pretty private person who wouldn't normally share to this degree. However, I cannot overstate how grateful I am that my cancer is in its early stage. I got really lucky since I had missed last year's mammogram. So, my purpose in posting this is that if you are due or overdue for a mammogram, don't hesitate. I had 2 days where I knew that it was likely that I had cancer before I got the confirmation of the diagnosis and learned that it was Type I (slow-growing). At that time, I would have given anything to go back in time & get that mammogram on time.

Lily:

First, I am sorry to hear this, but wishing you all strength to power through this and come out the other side healthy, smiling and kicking butt again.

Secondly, thanks for the warning. I get mammograms yearly and this year's is scheduled for June. I never miss. It takes such a short amount of time to check these things, the reminder is useful.

I am happy to hear that you caught this early, that your baseline health is excellent. I have all expectation that all will come out well for you. I wish you the best of luck. Even private people should not hesitate to reach out to friends, cyber friends and loved ones because we all need support from time to time. Sending you all my support,

Clare

On Friday, April 21, I was diagnosed with breast cancer. This was a complete shock since I've always been so health conscious. I'm currently doing Cathe's Strong & Sweaty/Ripped with HIIT rotation & hadn't noticed any change in my energy. I'm the one who stays healthy when everyone around me is hacking and coughing. It didn't seem possible that cancer could have invaded my body. I was due for my mammogram in April 2016, but I let life get in way and missed getting in until the first week of April this year. I have been beating myself up for missing last year's mammogram.

Thankfully, every bit of information that I have received since the initial diagnosis has been good news. The tumors (there are 2, but they thought there might be as many as 4) are both small and early stage. The lymph nodes look good & all of my prognostic factors are good. My treatment plan is a lumpectomy (outpatient surgery) with radiation treatment. Surgery is scheduled for next week.

I'm a pretty private person who wouldn't normally share to this degree. However, I cannot overstate how grateful I am that my cancer is in its early stage. I got really lucky since I had missed last year's mammogram. So, my purpose in posting this is that if you are due or overdue for a mammogram, don't hesitate. I had 2 days where I knew that it was likely that I had cancer before I got the confirmation of the diagnosis and learned that it was Type I (slow-growing). At that time, I would have given anything to go back in time & get that mammogram on time.
Thank you for sharing this. A good reminder that even when we are feeling fine and staying fit that managing our health should not be postponed. Best of luck to you.

lily, I just have to say that you are quite the woman to share this with all of us during what must be a very, very difficult time for you. Here you are ....helping to look out for us all! No doubt this positive attitude and your beautiful heart can only serve you well during your course of treatments. I wish you strength with your upcoming surgery. ((hugs))
I am due for a follow-up to a second aspiration biopsy in July. Thank you for reminding me of this. I am also one to let things for myself slide while nagging my family to get checked up.

lily64, I am so sorry for your diagnosis, but glad that it sounds like it will turn out ok for you. I went for my mammogram last Monday,
and like Elsie, I had put it off only a few months but last year (and several years before that) I got called back for diagnostic mammograms, etc.
Well, Tuesday, I got the call that I needed to come back again for the diagnostic mammogram and went for that on Thursday. Everything was
ok, and I am so thankful, so I wish you the very best and a speedy recovery.

I am so glad your prognosis is good. I am sure that has to be one of the scariest things to go through. I always, always get my yearly mammo. Never, ever miss. Your story is a good reminder to everyone that it's not okay to skip. Thanks for sharing your story and best of health to you!

Hi

Just to send you big hugs and lots of love at this very difficult time. I have cutaneous MALT lymphoma and also I face another 12 fractions of radiotherapy. I can appreciate how difficult this time is for you. Fortunately, in my case and yours our illness has been caught early. How very brave of you to think of others at this difficult time. Sending you heartfelt hugs.
Remember you are not alone, we are all in this together.

Laura
xx

Thoughts and prayers to you Lily. It sounds like you have a good prognosis and I am wishing you all the best.
Thank you for your reminder. I have been getting annual mammograms for the past 10 years and last year I switched to the 3D Mammogram on the recommendation of my doctor. Mine is due in October.

Judy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.