I think Bare Minerals is ruining my face!

I had always wanted to try mineral make up until I researched and heard bad, bad reviews on Bare Minerals and Bare Escentuals (may have spelled that wrong). Then, I came across many reviews for EVERYDAY MINERALS (www.everydayminerals.com) and was amazed at the testimonials and reviews. Many BM and BE customers made the switch to Everday Minerals. When I went to the website I realized why. They have a ingredient comparison page. Check it out. You'll see why. Then, the testimonials. They speak for themselves. On top of all that, they let you order a FREE SAMPLE KIT!! All you do is pay $5 for shipping. What other mineral make up will let you try before you buy???

I have been a customer of EVERDAY MINERALS (www.everydayminerals.com) now for six months!! I love it and rave about it to everyone. They are a far better product than BE and are also far more reasonable in price. I would highly recommend them to EVERYONE. I know this sounds like an advertisement but it's not. I just LOVE EVERYDAY MINERALS and want everyone to know about them!!! :7

I have very sensitive skin. I get red and break out VERY easy. I tried all differant types of make-up brands and they would all make me break out. Everything from drug store brands to high end departmant store make-up counter brands. I tried some of a friend's Bare Minerals hoping that would work but that made me break out also.

Once I researched it a a little more I found out while Bare Minerals is the most popular mineral make-up it is not the best. Many of the things added to many brands of mineral make-up bacteria thrive in or clog pores.

I have had luck with larenim mineral make-up. I can wear it every day and it does not make me break out at all.
Here is a link that has some info on why mineral make-ups do not work for some people. It has some very basic info but you can do a further search if you want something more detailed.
http://www.larenim.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=9

I do not mean to sound like a ad for Larenim make-up. It is just I think many people try Bare Minerals and think that mineral make-up is not for them when if they would try one of the purer brands they would probably like it a lot more.:)

BM foundation does not work for everybody no matter what they say in the ads. I used it years ago and I would never use it around the eye area for that same reason. I just used regular concealer, then BE foundation (avoiding the eye area) and a dusting of loose powder (mineral veil, mac blot, or clinique loose powder) everywhere including the eye area. The foundation did not work for me because no matter which shade I tried it didn't match and it also made me break out. What I ended up doing was stop using the foundation and got Laura Mercier's Tinted Moisturizer. This stuff is pricey, but I bought my first bottle around Easter '06 and I'm still using it. I thought I was going to run out by Christmas and I bought another bottle and it is still unopened. In my opinion, Laura Mercier has the best basic make-up (foundation, tinted moisturizers, and concealers). The products are very high end and that usually means a high end price tag, but they're worth every cent because they have great coverage and are highly concentrated. I bought Laura Mercier's Tinted Moisturizer and Secret concealer last year at the same time and I still have tons of product left. Neutrogena's tinted moisturizer is the next best thing to Laura Mercier's so if it's not in the budget it would be a good one to try too.

By the way, I use tinted moisturizer like I would use liquid foundation. I apply it either with the fingers or dot with the fingers and blend with a clean sponge, then I apply concealer where I need it with a concealer brush and blend with my fingers, then a dusting of loose powder with a puff if I want a matte look or with a loose powder brush if I want a dewy look.

Oh! and before I finish this long reply I have a trick to share. After you apply powder all over your face, check your under eye area. If you see that make-up settled into fine lines just get a q-tip and dust it with a bit of loose powder, go under the line that has make-up into it, and use the q-tip to blend the make-up with the rest of your skin.

I hope this helps. :)

Edited to add: I didn't read all the replies before I wrote mine and yes Laura Mercier's tinted moisturizer is the best thing I've ever gotten for my skin. I truly believe it has changed the way I look for the best. You don't look made up and at the same time you get SPF protection and light coverage. People get scared at the price tag but I'm telling this product lasts a *long* time.

Hmmmm....I'll have to take a look at that Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer. I don't use loose powder, it sucks all the moisture out of my face.

I stopped putting the BM near my eyes and they seem to look a bit better. Also have gotten more sleep for the last few days and that probably helps a bit too.

Hmmm....$40 for 1.5 oz....think I'll try Neutrogena first.

Bare minerals really improves my face at 42, but my skin is oily. Maybe it's not so good for women with dryer skin.
Manmohini

I hear you on the pores thing. I have the smallest pores on my nose - a make up artist once told me I had no pores....... Anyway with BM I have pores all over that pop out everywhere. And now that you mention it I have a huge pimple and have been getting them a lot lately. I am 34 and have never had a problem. I would guess it is the BM since I just started using a few months ago.

I like it but it doesn't like me.

Good luck finding something new.

Winter

I just bought pur 4 in 1 pressed mineral makeup in the ulta store last week and I love it. It didn't look powdering on my face like Bare Escentuals.

I'm sure it's not causing new wrinkles! But I do recall reading on either the BE or EM site (or perhaps it was on Makeup Alley?) that if wrinkles are more visible, the foundation color match is off. I can't recall the details - if you are using too light or too dark a foundation. One of the specific "tells" was that wrinkles were more pronounced - this was specifically mentioned in the article I read about color matching. Perhaps a quick Google search on something like mineral make up color match or something like that could help?

>I'm sure it's not causing new wrinkles! But I do recall
>reading on either the BE or EM site (or perhaps it was on
>Makeup Alley?) that if wrinkles are more visible, the
>foundation color match is off. I can't recall the details - if
>you are using too light or too dark a foundation. One of the
>specific "tells" was that wrinkles were more pronounced - this
>was specifically mentioned in the article I read about color
>matching. Perhaps a quick Google search on something like
>mineral make up color match or something like that could
>help?
>
That was from the EM site. ;)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.