I need a new diet....

buffettgirl

Cathlete
I know, I know. Diet is a dirt word, but it's the only way I know. Last spring I lost about 25 pounds on an easy to follow, but BORING diet a friend got from her trainer. I've regained about 7 pounds and want desperately to lose them before summer is here. I just can't get motivated with the old diet. I'm sick unto death of undressed salad, chicken breast and brown rice. Any ideas for an easy to follow but kind of different diet - about 1500-1600 calories/day? I don't mind the same thing over and over, but I need a DIFFERENT same old-same old. Know what I mean?

Have you checked out "The Engine 2 Diet" by Rip Esselstyn? It's essentially the same approach as "Eat To Live" and other lower-fat vegan diets, but he has some killer recipes in there, and he includes a non-vegan phase as well.

I am already vegan and am essentially "on" that diet all the time, but my SO was looking for new diet info, so I bought the book for him. The easygoing approach, non-complicated instructions and general deliciousness (as well as the non-preachy vegetarian explanations) made this really click with him. Plus, the results are hard to argue with. I mean, if a whole bunch of athletic, butt-kicking firemen like it, it's got to be OK.

Well, I feel stupid! I've seen the Engine 2 book at Whole Foods for a while now, but never looked at it because I didn't realize it was vegan!!!!! I've moved toward a vegan diet over the course of the last many months, and am always on the lookout for good recipe books. I'll finally have to pick this up and check it out the next time I'm shopping!!!!

you gotta check out Makeovermybody.com It's not a "diet" but rather clean eating. My sister did it and the results were quick and amazing. She emailed me the menu cards and it's so easy to follow and the results are real. Basically eat nothing processed.

The website has forums and you can get recipes from it too. It's a very do-able eating plan.

Well, I feel stupid! I've seen the Engine 2 book at Whole Foods for a while now, but never looked at it because I didn't realize it was vegan!!!!! I've moved toward a vegan diet over the course of the last many months, and am always on the lookout for good recipe books. I'll finally have to pick this up and check it out the next time I'm shopping!!!!

I really like this book because it's a very practical, workable way of eating for people who are interested in exploring vegetarianism/veganism or just eating healthy whole foods. I'm a fearless cook and I love learning new recipes...but I need easy, everyday stuff, too.

Plus, while I may be willing to eat seaweed smoothies and avoid sugar completely and all, my family wants food to taste good. I don't mind eating tasty food, either, so this ended up being a good buy. ;)

you gotta check out Makeovermybody.com It's not a "diet" but rather clean eating. My sister did it and the results were quick and amazing. She emailed me the menu cards and it's so easy to follow and the results are real. Basically eat nothing processed.

The website has forums and you can get recipes from it too. It's a very do-able eating plan.

Are you referring to Michael Thurmond's 6 Week Body Makeover program, or something different? Curious minds would love to know! :) Thank you!

I have gotten a few good recipes out of The Flat Belly Diet. I think some of the info in there isn't 100% perfect but I like that it has a section of recipes for days I have time or there are also sections of meals that are quick and easy. For many of you there are probably too many processed foods but I really only eat the healthier options. I guess the biggest reason I like it is because I get to eat chocolate chips on regular basis.

Afreet, I'll check out that book.

pjdavis, and the website too!

Thanks for the suggestions. What I really need is someone to stand in the kitchen and smack me in the evening when I get peckish. Any volunteers?

"One that won't hurt my head
One that won't make my mouth too dry
Or make my eyes to red."

^^^Yup, that's what I need!

Maybe we could start a whole new industry. The Diet Buddies - someone to babysit you through the hardest time of the day.

Count me in on the diet babysitter! LOL

I just had twins in November & have lost all my weight plus some with clean eating. I started with SBD (b/c it worked in past) but didn't work as well this time. I ended up doing Abs Diet and got results pretty consistent results. Now I feel like I've learned enough that I can follow a clean eating lifestyle on my own (without the strict guidance of a "diet").

As a template, I have been using DQ-plan.
http://books.google.com/books?id=mU...sQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=dqs diet scoring&f=false
It's a template that you can use a numerical value to assess your current healthy eating schedule & try to improve to eat healthier. It's no nonsense approach is easy to follow.

I just got Athlete's Palate. I'm training for my first 1/2 marathon & am looking for energy producing healthy food. There are yummy looking recipes, but I'm sad that there's white flour in alot of receipes. I plan on substituting most with WW flour.

Good luck!

I should point out that I worked out 2 hrs/day for the first 3 months post partum in addition to my clean eating. This was extreme, but I had 38lbs to lose after my twins were born.

Now I work out 4 days/week for 60-90 minutes in addition to my clean eating to maintain (or slowly continue to lose) my weight. I am 2lbs under my goal weight & am tweaking things now. ;)

In the past I've been able to lose 3-5lbs tightening up my diet. 7lbs takes a bit more discipline for myself. We're all wired differently though. :p

Maybe we could start a whole new industry. The Diet Buddies - someone to babysit you through the hardest time of the day.

We could invent a huge arm to attach to pantries/fridges that people set on a timer and when you go in either way too often, a huge hand comes and bops you on the head.

Buffettgirl, have you ever been to Margaritaville? I just went to Vegas with my family and we practically lived in that place for 5 days!! It was so much fun and very laid back.

I should point out that I worked out 2 hrs/day for the first 3 months post partum in addition to my clean eating. This was extreme, but I had 38lbs to lose after my twins were born.

Now I work out 4 days/week for 60-90 minutes in addition to my clean eating to maintain (or slowly continue to lose) my weight. I am 2lbs under my goal weight & am tweaking things now. ;)

In the past I've been able to lose 3-5lbs tightening up my diet. 7lbs takes a bit more discipline for myself. We're all wired differently though. :p

Wow, Melanie! You're a rock star! Charlie is 18 months old, and I STILL am clinging to an extra 12 pounds! I just don't have 2 hours a day to workout. HOW did you do that with two newbies??? I'm in total awe! :)

PS You have GOT to submit your oat muffin recipe for recipe spotlight. We love those things!! (With the chocolate chips, of course... :p)

Robin,

You all are so funny.

I'm having the same issues, so I bought this book called "Eat Right 4 Your Type" by Dr. Peter J. D'Adamo . (A noted naturopathic physician, researcher, clinical testing blood type connection, and lecturer. His father started the research, so it is 2nd generation continued). It is based on the 4 blood types.

From what I heard about it the pounds just melt off your body.

I've read it, and man it sure is convincing technically and scientifically. I'm going to start it today.:D

I just made wonderful sourdough bread, (not for type O negative, that's me) guess I could feed my husband that. But that's OK, it needs to be done, he loves it. You have inspired me to do it now.:p

Janie

Last edited:
Melanie, I love your avatar. I bet the twins are getting to be a handful. You did an amazing job with your baby fat.

Last chance, I know 7 pounds doens't sound like much, but I've been here before. I keep inching up and before you know it, I'm back where I began. I just don't have a clue how to maintain. The workout part is easy for me. I love that part. For me, it's all in the food.

Meliffy, I haven't been to a Margaritaville yet, but did get to my first Buffett concert last summer. We have tickets for a concert this year and I can't wait. I'm going to Niagara Falls in June and understand there is a Margaritaville opening there in May. I'm going to drag everyone there. By the way, all my friends who get to a Margaritaville buy me a gift. I have a tee shirt from New Orleans and parrot earrings from Key West. Maybe if you go back to Vegas, you can find something I'll like.;)

Thanks again for the suggestions. I have lots of homework to do now.:p

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.