I hope you don't mind it's a bit personal.

Loopy Lou

Cathlete
Hello everyone,

I have a bit of an odd question and just wanted to know if i'm the only one that this happens to. Well, here goes. If I have been doing alot of high impact/intensity workouts, when my monthly comes arround it is excruciatingly painful. However, if i have had a month of less exercise, I experience no pain at all. Does anyone else have this, and does anyone know why. The pain is so bad sometimes that I'm scared to do any exercise! Thanks in advance for your input and hope you're having a good day. :)

WOW, I have never heard of that. Maybe you should go see your OBGYN. When I stick to working out every day, my monthly seems to knock itself down from 7 days to 5 w/ no flow whatsoever on the 4th day. I used to cramp b4 kids. But after I started having them, no more cramps at all. Hope someone has an answer for you.

how long have you been exercising and what type of exercising are you doing? What type of pain do you have and are you experiencing pain throughout your cycle or just when you are working out during that week?

I stay away from certain exercises during my cycle b/c I tend to be more tender and more susceptible to pain at that time. For example I cannot do hi/lo on that week. It may just be that you need to alter your workouts that week or in general.

Well, I have been working out regularly for about 3 or 4 years and it's always been the same. I usually do a mixture of aerobics and weight training. It doesn't seem to make much difference what I've been doing, if I've been doing it all month, my periods are really painful! The pain comes in waves and sometimes it makes me physically sick. When i've slipped up i.e if i've been on holiday for a couple of weeks and havn't done any w/o I have no pain at all. I've always been told exercise is good for cramps! :-( Anyway, thanks for your responses. I'm glad this doesn't happen to you guys, it sucks!!

Hi xEva.x

I've had the same problem and there are a lot of women who do as well. Even the fitness industry goes back and forth on this subject. Some say yes it can, and as trainers we shouldn't push our female clients too hard around that time, nor do ab work as it can cause heavy bleeding for some women. From the GYN point of view it is possible and does happen to some women, but not all.

One thing to try, is to do low intense exercise for a week before your period. Or whenever you start to get the really bad cramps. Or to try to add more variety to your workout schedule and see if that clears it up.

And always see your GYN, as this can also be a sign of some other problem. And problems in that area should always be checked, asap.

Kit

Thank you very much for you reply. I'm glad I am not the only one experiencing this. I was starting to think I had a problem. I'll give your suggestions a try and see what happens. :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.