I caved!! Holy Moly Kettlebells!

janie1234

Cathlete
Yikes!! After a year of you gals talking so much about AOS and kettlebells I finally caved, . . mostly after reading the post about the 70 somthing pull ups sorry can't remember who you are but I'm still in total awe, . .that and I saw GI Jane yesterday. :eek:
So I bought the Firefighter workout and newport. Seriously the camera man needs to go back to camera man school. I tried the Newport workout and you gals were not kidding this is some tuff and challenging stuff. I went with Gayle's reccomendation and bought a 15 and 25 lb kettle bell, . .heck those are expensive too. I just viewed the Firefighter workout and yikes, . .as clumsy as I am I'm seriously scared to try some of these moves. I would probably lose some teeth or give myself a black eye. Do you guys use gloves??? Anyone ever drop a kettle bell on their body?
Overall I'm seriously glad I caved. This is really going to kick it up a notch as Cathe would say at least if I don't wack myself in the face first!

Last edited:
Hey
I recently caved too! i was sucked into all the talk and went the Lauren Brooks workouts! However I had all the same thoughts as you! Either I'm going to knock myself out or but it through the TV. Fun and VERY challenging!
Went in the middle and got the 20 lb kettlebell! My torso is still very sore from the first workout (Tuesday), you'd think I had never done challenging ab work before!

Very fun with a danger factor!

Heather

Yay! Kettlebells are so much fun! I hope you all like them as much as I do!

To answer one of the questions: I HAVE dropped a kettlebell, but not on myself. It just hit the floor and dented it pretty seriously. I think this is why many people take their kb workouts outside. ;) I have some chalk I use when things get slippery. I don't use gloves or anything.

I always make sure my pets are safely out of the way and never swing toward the TV, just in case.

I'd just add that yeah, kettlebells are really different from traditional weights and it takes a while to adjust. I started out really gung-ho and while I didn't injure myself, I did get really, REALLY sore in all the wrong places after my first few attempts at full-length workouts. I finally took some time and really paid attention to Lauren's tutorials and practiced doing each exercise right. I was eventually able to attend a class and got some excellent form pointers.

Once I got the form down for the basics, like swings and cleans, the exercises that seemed INSANE the first time I saw them seemed totally do-able.

I used to whack myself in the wrist or forearm all the time, but now that never happens anymore. Once I got the form down and nailed down my technique, the danger element essentially vanished. There's always a chance that you could drop a weight on yourself (or trip over your step or something!), but as you gain confidence and skill, you'll find even the swingingest, snatchingest kettlebell exercises manageable.

I normally don't like strength training (cardiojunkie here) so went with 15lb kettleball & Amy Bento's 3-in-1 DVD.

Just ordered them a few days ago & think they'll be here sometime this week or early next week.

I'm training for my first 1/2 marathon (April 17th) & will then incorporate kettleball into my cardio routines.

I'm excited & hope that I like it!

I caved and got 3 kb workouts. I got Gin Miller and iron core vol 1&2. I bought a 7lb bell as a recommendation I got off the Gin Miller DVD. Plus I'm kinda scared to go heavy but I do need to get heavier kb's. I too prefer cardio over weights so I am hoping these change that.

Janie,

Welcome to the wonderful world of kettlebells!! I would advise you, if you can, to seek out a RKC instructor to give you pointers on your form. Visit the AOS site often because Anthony has some really good instructional videos to help you with your form. Start off with 1 or 2 moves and get them down correctly and then move on.

My sister clocked herself in the head with a kettlebell but survived. She ended up with cut and a yellow forehead!! :)

I do most of my kettlebell work outside.

Have fun!!

Yay Janie!!!

I've haven't dropped the KB on me...yet. But I've also dropped it on the floor and once I dropped my 35lber on a fully loaded barbell. The barbell now "smiles" and has been retired. :eek:

Ditto what Jane said. The AOS site has some excellent videos on form pointers and stuff. Also, AOS Providence, IMO, is easier (not EASY, just easier) than Newport, and might be more forgiving for just starting out.

ITA with Gayle about Providence. You definitely should start with that one or the AOS Clinic one that Anthony has. It is really good. I wanted my husband to get involved with KBs so bad and I got the clinic DVD and he is hooked. So happy.

Janie,
Yay!! Welcome to the KB-side! I started with AOS Providence and a 10# bell. I moved relatively quickly to a 15# bell and a 20#, I'm now thinking about buying a 25# bell. I did manage to cripple myself with DOMS for months!

I'm not in an area where I could get an instructor so I got the AOS Clinic dvd for Christmas and really consider it worth the investment. You won't use it over and over but what it teaches you in terms of form and progressions is really important IMO.

I have dropped a bell and I have bumped the occasionally dog or kitty but they learn quickly to stay out of the way or I shut them in the bedroom. I have dropped a bell but never on me, I worry more about the floor or a critter. I put yoga mats on my hardwood to protect it and never swing towards the tv or window. You'll quickly learn which moves you are more likely to drop it on than others - round the body passes are a big one for me.

Have fun and let me know how bad your DOMs are! I bumped up weight on a couple of exercises this week and am feeling it today.

Lisa

Janie,
Yay!! Welcome to the KB-side! I started with AOS Providence and a 10# bell. I moved relatively quickly to a 15# bell and a 20#, I'm now thinking about buying a 25# bell. I did manage to cripple myself with DOMS for months!

I'm not in an area where I could get an instructor so I got the AOS Clinic dvd for Christmas and really consider it worth the investment. You won't use it over and over but what it teaches you in terms of form and progressions is really important IMO.

I have dropped a bell and I have bumped the occasionally dog or kitty but they learn quickly to stay out of the way or I shut them in the bedroom. I have dropped a bell but never on me, I worry more about the floor or a critter. I put yoga mats on my hardwood to protect it and never swing towards the tv or window. You'll quickly learn which moves you are more likely to drop it on than others - round the body passes are a big one for me.

Have fun and let me know how bad your DOMs are! I bumped up weight on a couple of exercises this week and am feeling it today.

Lisa

Speaking of DOMS, I did my first kettlebell w/o on Mon. and I haven't been able to walk since. I never get DOMS from weights anymore so I am happy (I think?) about it. Thought for sure I would be ready to w/o today but I don't think I am. These are some long lasting DOMS. Linda

I never get DOMS from kettlebells the way I used to with traditional weight work, mostly (I think) because you don't work to failure with kettlebells - I still get a little sore, especially when I'm moving up in weight on a given exercise and I'm really pushing it. I do remember some really profound leg & glute fatigue when I first started with them.

What I LIKE is that I feel soreness in my hamstrings, inner thighs, glutes, and core - these are my strongest muscle groups and it's HARD to get them really working.

I also really like how much stronger I've gotten, and the fact that my sweetie just told me how much smaller & tighter I'm looking these days. Yay!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.