Hysterectomy

atompki1

Cathlete
Anybody had one? I'm looking at one in the next month or so. I will need the abdominal type(incision in tummy). Wondering if the recovery will be similar to the two c-sections I had.

TIA

Oh no, Toni!!!!
I hope you get the answers you need and the outcome of this has you feeling ready to tackle your workouts! Sending an e-hug your way!

Sorry to hear this, Toni!
I haven't had children but I had that laproscopic (I believe that's what they called it) hysterectomy and recovery time had to have been easier than a c-section!
It was about 4 years ago and all is well; I just don't remember much about the details.
Best wishes to you!

Hi Toni! I had a hysterectomy about 4 years ago! My recovery was routine. Had a lot of fatigue at first, managable discomfort etc. You MUST give yourself the rest and recovery you need. Don't push it. You will feel better each day but use caution with increasing activity or your body will give you an abrupt and rude reminder that you just had surgery. It will be a kinder recovery than a c-section which is a larger incision.

I've had issues with pregnancy, 4 miscarriages and 4 ectopic pregnancies so I know too well abdominal surgeries. I'm lucky though because I had one perfect pregnancy with my daughter, 26 years ago! AAHH!!!

I was having issues and having a hysterectomy was an option. So incredibly glad I did it! No regrets and I feel so much better. You will too! Just please, please give yourself the time to recover. Good luck.

Had one about 8 years ago. I had previously had two C sections, in my 20's. My C sections were vertical due to my son already being in birth canal for many, many hours prior. Anyhow, my gyno said the horizontal was an easier recovery for the hysterectomy due to the direction the muscles are cut through. Made sense when I thought about it. She said less chance of tearing after surgery. At my age, not worried about scarring so that is what I did. I actually started with some Walking workouts (Leslie) as soon as possible. Within 6 weeks, I was doing my regular Cathe. As far as pain, I have a low threshold for pain, but did well after the returning home. Follow the advice of the Doc, and your body. You will do well.

Hello, had one about 9 years ago and it was the best decision I made. You will need to take your time to get better. Once the doctor gave me the OK to exercise again, I started with walking on the treadmill and just eased my way back to my exercise program. You need to take all the recovery time necessary, don't push your body. Oh, and maybe this is a little weird, but make sure you drink lots and lots of water - you do not want to get constipated. I also had the horizontal surgery - they took everything out (I was carved out like a turkey - lol) and my recovery was pretty good. Good luck with your surgery.

Oh Margarita that was cute........you're absolutely right about the constipation! Its a dreadful side effect of the pain meds. Doctors orders "Don't push to pooh"! :eek: After any surgery you'll usually feel like you're in a fog, I struggled with nausea. So when I DID eat I made sure it was healthy and tolerable on my sensitive stomach. Fruit salad, crackers and yes....lots and lots of water.

Oh Margarita that was cute........you're absolutely right about the constipation! Its a dreadful side effect of the pain meds. Doctors orders "Don't push to pooh"! :eek: After any surgery you'll usually feel like you're in a fog, I struggled with nausea. So when I DID eat I made sure it was healthy and tolerable on my sensitive stomach. Fruit salad, crackers and yes....lots and lots of water.

Hi TLC93 - I would actually make a game with the water. I would put a stick on the calendar for every full glass of water I would drink - since I didn't what to "push the pooh" - I would have 10-15 glasses of water every day and it worked. :)

Personally never had a problem with constipation, I had a bad reaction to the pain meds and decided to go "commando" . It really wasn't too bad. My DH was wonderful taking care of the boys. The freakiest thing for me was not feeling my legs when I come to. Took a little longer than expected for the feeling to come back, but it did. I'd agree with the others, it was the best decision I could have made.

Had a full abdominal open with a vertical cut 18 months ago. My uterus was the size of a 20 week pregnancy due to fibroids. I needed the surgery done so that a bowel resection could be done. Since surgery, I have not had any problems with diverticulitis. I think the uterus was causing narrowing of my intestines.

Anyway, I had no pain that required medication. The nurse kept checking my pump after the surgery cause I never used it.

Anyway, I was driving and walking a week after surgery. The only things restricted were bending down, I guess cause of the vertical cut and no lifting more than 20 pounds. After 8 weeks, I eased back into my workouts.

Good luck! The surgery was easier than I expected.

I am scheduling one of these in a few months. Have tried numerous procedures for my heavy periods. I am pron to fibroids, and also have a cyst encasing my left ovary...this is going too. I am almost 53 and am so ready for this!

I am scheduling one of these in a few months. Have tried numerous procedures for my heavy periods. I am pron to fibroids, and also have a cyst encasing my left ovary...this is going too. I am almost 53 and am so ready for this!

Wow! You must be having a ton of pain and discomfort! I wish you well! I promise you'll feel so much better! Good luck to you.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.