How to wean GD off baby formula

nspire

Cathlete
We're in the process of weaning my granddaughter off baby formula. What milk if any do you mother's recommend? I want to raise her to eat properly, and am wondering if I should give her regular milk. I don't even drink milk. I'll use Silk in my protein drinks sometimes, but am wondering what to give her to drink. Of course, she has juice and water, but is that enough?

I was told to start with regular whole milk and I did. After a while the doc said skim was fine. We usually have both whole milk and skim or 1% in the house these days cause DH prefers whole and I like the others. I try to give DS the lower fat or fat free milk as often as I can these days. You should really ask the pediatrician what he/she suggests right now. I will buy vanilla soy milk on occasion. DS loves it!

Talk to her pediatrician. Whole milk is the usual recommendation, but it depends on the child.

Last edited:
its an interesting question

Whole milk is usually recommended (I used to work with a premie) but be sure that junior gets some whole milk yogurt too for the live cultures. Colostrum is known to be very helpful to bone development and is fat soluble and does not occur in non fat milk so you may want to stick to the whole milk until the baby is two years old. Definitely talk to the pediatrician, each baby is different.

thanks for the advise, my daughter will be taking my granddaughter to the doctor this week, so I'll find out for sure.

Just a heads up, when they switch to milk they can get constipated so make sure she gets enough fiber or juice to keep her "going" regularly. IIRC, they don't switch to lowfat milk until they are over 2 yo.

Lastly, don't rush to introduce her to soy milk. I'm not trying to cause an argument but there is a school of thought that soy interferes w/ estrogen levels and even slow growth in children. I'm not preaching, just putting it out there for you to possibly research.

We kept P on whole milk until he was 2. Our ped (Who I LOVE) said that they need the fat for brain development at that age. Since 2 he's been on skim or 2% depending on what was on sale at the store ;)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.