How to keep weights & train for a Marathon?

bella30

Cathlete
I posted this in the Rotation Forum, but maybe could get some help here! TIA!

I am training for a marathon this year. I have picked out Hal Higdon's plan for Novices. It's a pretty open structure, 4 days a week are running, with your long run on the weekend. Here is the breakdown:

Monday-Rest
Tuesday -short run
Wednesday-medium run
Thursday -short run
Friday-rest
Saturday-Long Run
Sunda-rest or cross train

My thing is, I have been weight training seriously for 3 months, and I am wanting to keep that muscle, not lose it by doing all the cardio. Can anyone who has trained for a marathon give me some advice on how to keep your muscle mass during training? I have trained for 1/2 marathon and other shorter races, but at that time I wasn't into weights and I didn't do anything other than run. THANKS!

Carrie

Hi Carrie,

I can't offer anything advice personally except that the January 2008 edition of the CrossFit Journal has an article on endurance training with a sample month long training cycle for a 50k race that incorporates strength training, as well as metabolic conditioning, in the form of CrossFit workouts.

I think you could sub some of the strength stuff your doing now where the plan shows "CrossFit". That edition of the CF Journal can be found here:

https://store.crossfit.com/cgi-bin/...&ref=cfj066&cat=cfjbak&catstr=HOME:cfj:cfjbak

It's $5.00 and you get it electronically.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.