how to control cravings

marnski

I am currently 8 weeks pregnant with baby #2 and this time around I am having cravings like crazy! Of course none of the cravings are healthy so I'm wondering what everyone did to either curb their cravings or did you just give in?

Hi! Congratulations on your pregnancy!

I'm afraid I don't have a lot of advice about cravings. I had a few cravings during my first trimester, but nothing too bad. One time I wanted french fries pretty badly and I gave in then. A few other times I wanted ice cream, which I did, but I stuck to the low-fat versions. I mostly craved watermelon and strawberries which I didn't mind eating. I've read that if you have cravings for unhealthy food, it's okay to give in occasionally so you don't go crazy depriving yourself, but if you can find healthy substitutes, that would be better.

Sorry - that's probably not very helpful. I would say not to let yourself feel guilty if you give in to unhealthy cravings now and then.

Carrie

it is amazing - I rarely craved food with my first and when I did, it was usually good for me so I didn't mind giving in. This time around it's completely different, all I want it junk food! I'm really trying to substitue the craving with healthier versions but I can honestly say some times it just doesn't cut it :)

I guess I'll just have to really be careful and continue working out

thanks for the advice!

All I wanted at the beginning of this pregnancy was junk. Vegetables made me gag and I couldn't even look at a salad. I pretty much gave in at the beginning because I was lucky to find anything that I wanted to eat. I did clean up my act pretty quickly though once I started being able to stomach the "good" food again. I say everything in moderation. A little of something "bad" here and there isn't going to kill you. ;)

Congratulations on your pregnancy by the way!!!

I didnt have any craving for junk food...but I did crave oranges like crazy still do!!! Congratualtions on your pregnancy!:)

First trimester, I would say just eat whatever you're craving! Both pregs, I wanted nothing but junk food. I gave in and just did it. First kid, I gained 25lbs total. This one, so far at 31 weeks, I'm up 18lbs, so giving in won't send you over the edge!

Just balance it out when you can eat regularly again. Congratulations!

it's really weird - I'm craving things that are completely opposite of what I did last time. I think I'm just going to do what I can and see how things go. I only gained 27lbs with my first one so I'm shooting for about the same goal weight.

Thanks everyone for the congrats!

The funny thing and whats so fustrating for me is, that I have not crave any junk food or have eaten any junk food, but I'm still managing to pack on the pounds, rewardless of me still working out. With my last pregnancy I only gained 26 pounds, with ths pregnancy I'm up at 122 already and I still have 12 weeks to go!!! I know every pregnancy is different, but I don't understand why I'm gaining more weight ths time around. Maybe ths time around its a girl! :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.