How soon can you test?

nkhansen1

Cathlete
It takes two weeks from conception for HCG to show up in your urine and bloodstream, so you can start testing on the day your period is due. Some tests are a little more sensitive, saying that you can use them 5 days earlier, but I'm not sure how reliable they really are.

I agree with Natalie. I know it's tough but you really should try and wait the full two weeks. I would even suggest waiting until your period is late. If you test too early you can get a false negative which is either depressing(if you just accept it at face value) or can lead you to get your hopes up that in another day or so you'll see a positive(if you start second guessing yourself that it is a false negative.)

Why not just wait and be sure? If you wait until your period is late you have a much smaller chance of getting a 'false' result either way.

Good Luck to you! :)

ETA: you didn't mention where you are in your cycle...if your period is already late(even by a day) then, by all means test now:)

I agree with Pippa to wait - it will save tears if you get a false positive. But, I am NOT saying that from experience...I use to take 50 tests every cycle! LOL I could have bought a lot of Cathe shirts with the wasted money I spent on tests. GOOD LUCK!

I'd wait until the day your period is due, and then if it still hasn't shown up in a couple weeks, test again.

Please don't be disappointed if it is negative - I mean that's easy to say, you probably will, but it's totally normal. Isn't this your first month of trying? I think they say on average it takes 6 months to get pregnant. It took DH and I 5 months, and I had 3 months of tears because I wanted to get pregnant. Finally, in the 4th and 5th months, DH and I used those ovulation kits, so if you get really frustrated, there is that option.

May God bless you!
Chrissy

It took me between 9 and 15 months to conceive each time I became pregnant, and that's still considered normal. It can take awhile! It is exciting though...every month waiting to see if you'll get a surprise. :) Have fun with the process. Don't get too obsessed with taking that test each month.
I can tell you from experience that I had probably a dozen positive tests on the day my period was due only to have my period start a few days later. It wasn't a "false" positive, I had conceived, but the pregnancy just didn't get very far (it's called a chemical pregnancy- not a miscarriage). If I had waited until I was a week or so late, then I could have saved myself some tears. My doctor told me all the time to do him a favor and wait until I was TWO weeks late to take a test. That was hard, but good advice.

There is a lot of wisdom in the previous posts ... that being said, I am not a patient person and after about 4 months of trying would start testing super early after ovulation. If you are charting your cycles with FAM, then you will have a very good idea of when to test. On average, implantation occurs between 7 and 10 days after ovulation. Your HCG levels roughly double every day after that. Most early tests detect a level of 20 - some 25 - but most "normal" tests detect levels of 30-40.

I miscarried twice and tested positive on the day my period was due (I didn't test earlier) and then 10 DPO (days past ovulation). This time (I am 33 weeks) I tested positive 5 DPO. So - it is variable. Waiting until your period is a great idea - but if you can't stand it, like me, the early tests DO work. You can get really cheap ones online at earlypregnancytests.com ($1.00 each) as well as ovulation test strips.

You may also want to check out ovusoft.com - built around the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility, it is an excellent resource for TTC - the forums there might be really helpful.

Best of luck!
arancini

Yes! I got my test strips at Early Pregnancy Tests.com and they work! I tested positive 10 days after conception when I took a blood test at the Dr's office they confirmed that I was only a few weeks along.

I also used the OTC stuff you can buy at any store (EPT, Advance...) and they work but they were way more expensive and the positive line was very very faint. Good Luck!

As hard as it is, I also come to conclude that it's better to just wait until you're late before testing because of all the emotions that come along with getting uncertain test results.

Good luck to you! Hope you are pg!

Lisa

Well, I'm about 14 DPO at this point, and have gotten positive results for the last 3 days. I have noticed that the line has gotten darker each day that I've tested, which shows that my HCG is increasing (or so I've read)....

So, in my case...11-14 DPO.

Good luck!

>Well, I'm about 14 DPO at this point, and have gotten
>positive results for the last 3 days. I have noticed that the
>line has gotten darker each day that I've tested, which shows
>that my HCG is increasing (or so I've read)....
>
>So, in my case...11-14 DPO.
>
>Good luck!

OMG! Major congrats! U R PREGNANT!
:) :eek: :D :p :7

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.