How much to pay kid-sitters?

pjlippert

Cathlete
Hi again- I am just the question gal this week. Just curious- how much to you pay sitters for your child(ren). When I ask the sitters how much they charge they are afraid to give a price. So, on average, I pay about $20 for 3-ish hours. Too much? Too little? My neighbor's don't have a great idea on pay-rate either... most of them have husbands, family or older sibs who can do the job. I'm lacking ALL of the above so must rely on the kindness of willing sitters.

Thanks!
Pam

It is really hard to figure out childcare cost. I guess i figure about 3 dollars a kid, depending on the age of the kids. I also take into account if the babysitter drives or not. I think childcare prices are all over the road. i certainly dont hand the babysitter 6 bucks if its only an hour so i would at lease give her 10, if not more. I dont know, just do what feels right and make it worth it to the sitter so they are willing to come back again to sit.

I have 2 kids that are 10. I don't use a sitter much anymore. But when they were younger I paid around $10 an hour.

I think it depends. The number of children, the ages and experiences of the sitters and are they watching them at night (easier because kids are usually asleep most of the time) or during the day (more nanny type job).

I have 4 children and paid $15 for the summer nanny, but for babysitting, I would pay around $10 rounding up a little. I just had my neighbor's children watch my kids one night and I paid them about $8. Their son is 13...but we were next door, so reachable if there were any problems.

the girl across the street charges 10 bucks for hour#1, then 5 for each hour after!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:confused:...for weekend eves
for a summer day (8-4)- 25 bucks

Therefore, I rarely try to use a sitter if grandma isnt around:D

$10/hour generally.

When the kids were babies (twins+1 22 months apart), we would hire two girls and pay each 7-8/hour).

I pay my cat sitters $17 per visit for 20 minutes to feed and pet 2 cats. So none of those charges sound excessive to me ;)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.