How much is too much?

maggiejean

Hi, I am 3 and a half months pregnant with my first baby. I experienced an episode of prenatal bleeding and was told (by my doctor and others) that while my workouts didn't cause the bleeding, it is a sign that I need to take it easier. The baby is fine and nothing appears to be wrong with me. I have resumed my workouts but I am not sure how much is too much. Before my pregnancy I worked out 6 hours a week doing Cathe weight workouts, step classes at my gym, and running so I am no novice to working out. However, now that I am pregnant I am more tired and winded than before. Yesterday, I did a half hour of Cathe Power Hour, and then an hour of cardio and I was so tired. My question is what is a typical workout routine for a fit pregnant woman? How many days a week and for how long? I need some guidelines so I don't overdo it and end up on bedrest! Thanks, MJ

Hi Maggiejean!

Firstly, congratulations on your pregnancy! I am 6 months along and also expecting my first - it's exciting and a little daunting all at the same time, isn't it?

I also suffered bleeding early on (mine was due to having a Rhesus Negative blood group, and was managed with a simple injection). I have had other unrelated bleeding since, and was careful to check with the hospital about whether it was still safe for me to exercise. I was advised that exercise is very beneficial and would help me in the labour process and also in my recovery afterwards, as long as I didn't exhaust myself actually doing it! I've kept this in mind and am constantly monitoring how I feel during and after exercise. If a particular workout has left me feeling over-tired, I simply modify it the next time.

It may be that doing half an hour of Power Hour followed by an hour of cardio was too much in one day for you, hence you experienced real tiredness. Perhaps next time you could do one or the other, or do half an hour of Power Hour and half an hour of cardio and see how you feel. Also, taking little breaks when you get too winded and keeping hydrated is really important. I did this all the time when I was first pregnant, stopping whatever tape I was doing and just catching my breath and rehydrating at regular intervals allowed me to carry on and finish the workout without feeling ill or overtired afterwards - it just took me a little longer, LOL!

Like you, I was used to working out prior to becoming pregnant, and adapting my workout routine (especially in the 1st tri when I was feeling really icky!) has been a case of trial and error. Some days I have loads of energy, some days there is just nothing there! At the moment, I am averaging about 5 workouts per week, doing 2 full body strength workouts (ie Power Hour) with modified weight and 3 x 1 hour cardios. If I don't manage this, I try not to give myself a hard time, but instead appreciate that my body is now sustaining another life, which in itself is using up huge reserves of energy!

I guess what I am trying to say (albeit in a long-winded way!) is that I don't think there is a "typical" workout routine which will suit every woman during pregnancy. Every woman is different and every pregnancy is different. I think the key is in really listening to your body - never more so than now.

Anyway, this is just my experience and I hope it helps a little. Congratulations again and enjoy this special time!

Kaz.

Today Is The Tomorrow We Worried About Yesterday And All Is Well.

Hi Maggiejean. I am also about 3 and a half months pregnant. My due date is April 3rd, what is yours?

I agree with what Kaz said. I think that you really need to listen to your body and try a few things to see what works for you. I have good days and not so good days regarding my energy levels, so I just adjust my workout intensity accordingly.

Congratulations on your pregnancy and good luck with your workouts!

Michelle

As a general rule, your prenatal workouts should energize you... not wear you out. Soooo... listen to your body! With all due respect, if you typically did 6 hours a week prior to getting pregnant, then an hour of cardio and a half hour of PH is hardly taking it easy.

As a prenatal exercise instructor and a mom who exercised through 2 pregnancies, I'm a HUGE fan of women working out while pregnant, but I'm even a bigger fan of listening to your body and listening to the OB or midwife that you are trusting your pregnancy to. I'm not sure that you can generalize about a "typical" workout for a fit pregnant woman. Some fit women can pretty much continue their workouts unaffected... many more need to take it down a notch at some point... and a few have to stop altogether.

If you have a place to do it, I HIGHLY recommend hitting the pool for a virtually no-impact workout that can get your cardio up, keep your body temp down, and work your entire body.

I should also mention that you don't want to go anaerobic (no goign breathless), and you don't want to strain when lifting weights.

Hang in there! It's hard to hang back sometimes, but 6 mos. of a little less sure beats putting you or your baby in jeopardy!
Susan
Healthy Moms Certified Perinatal Fitness Instructor

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.