How much does/did your newborn sleep?

leighanntx1

Cathlete
I have been researching this on the 'net and will call my doctor tomorrow but just wondered about what you guys dealt with when it came to this.

Hagan will be 1 month tomorrow (time flies!) and still sleeps almost all the time. He slept from 8pm last night to 8:45 this morning with 5 feedings in between. He was up until about 10 but has bascially been asleep except for getting up for 3 more feedings all day. I know I am supposed to be reading to him, talking to him and giving him some tummy time but the booger is always asleep!

I guess I could always put him in his car seat. He still hates that and it would probably wake him. But he is so cute and peaceful looking!

How about your babies? Did they sleep this much or should I be worried?

You just described Gannon's sleep pattern. He just got up around 7:30 to eat and he is now falling back to sleep as I'm holding him. He sleeps most of the time and is pretty pleasant when he is awake. I don't know how much sleep a newborn should be getting.

When I had my first son, he NEVER slept. He would sleep 15 minutes at a time. I spent the first year of his life a zombie b/c I never got any sleep. So we went from a baby that never slept to one that all he does is sleep.

Sorry for not having an answer for your question, maybe another mom has some answers.

My middle son slept alot! It seemed like he was only up a few hours a day (if that!) until he was amost two months old, so he sounds a lot like Hagan. But my oldest was up all the time, she hardly slept (like Dana's), and to this day she doesn't need that much sleep. My youngest had a sleeping pattern different even from then. Each baby is different, and as long as he is thriving, and it sounds like he is eating plenty, I wouldn't worry about it. Growing up is hard work! And you will have plenty of time to read with him and do everything else that you want. :) I would use this time to do the things that you want to do because, as all moms know, as soon as he gets moving you will be exhausted!

Missy

Thanks ladies! It makes me feel better to hear other babies have done the same. I do take the down time to get on the computer, clean house, do laundry and get dinner ready for the evening. Hagan is certainly thriving-he is a chunk!

This is yet another reason DH and I are thinking this will be our only child. I can not imagine having Hagan be a toddler and having another newborn that does not sleep! You all that have the multiples are awesome!

My DS slept TONS when he was a newborn as well. During the day he slept whenever he wasn't eating, PERIOD. You couldn't wake him! It was IMPOSSIBLE! LOL At night he tended to get cranked for a few hours and cry but he still slept most of it away as well...except for feedings ofcourse...

The only problem I ran into is because he slept sooo soundly and constantly during the day, if he was going to up it was at night, and ofcourse, that did not agree with MOM's schedule so that took it's toll on me as he tended to be up from about 10pm to 2am. OUCH Often times I never even attempted to get any sleep until after his 2am-ish feeding! ;( Once he started getting his days and nights in order and learned to be up during the day, it became MUCH easier.

Now I am happy to report (if I may brag a bit here! hee hee) that I have an EXCELLENT sleeper! Naps have thier good and bad days but my DS ALWAYS sleeps well over night. 9pm to 9am almost garunteed!:+ YEAY for ME!;)

Oh, and btw, I never even started giving him tummy time until he was atleast a couple months old. My pediatrician didn't even mention it until a couple months down the line I think...

I wouldn't worry... :)

when ds was just born he slept alot during the day. i miiss those times because now he barely wants to nap unless he is in my arms.

It sounds normal to me at 1 month. My little man is 9 weeks old and this past week has started being awake more and gets upset if I don't talk to him sometimes.

How come out of 6 babies....I never got one that slept. :p :p :p :p .

Enjoy your sleeping baby!!!!! And if you don't would you like to trade???? (just kidding of course).

Briee (coming off one of those nights when Noah got up like 6 times AND HE'S ALMOST 2).

I'm with you Briee. When I saw the subject of the post I thought for sure I would hear other moms discussing their children who don't sleep. I thought we'd all be having a pity party. WRONG! Now I see I have no business even looking at this post because I definitely don't have this problem at my house. Sleep, what's that?;)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.