How do you find the best hair color for you

Nobuko

Cathlete
Hi everyone,
I enjoy watching these makeover stories on TV I'm always amazed when these pros figure out the best hair color for people. And now I'm wondering how I can find out what the best color for my skin tone. I appreciate if anyone could advise!

Go see a professsional hairdresser and colorist. Never change your hair colour more than three shades deeper or lighter than your natural hair colour. That's a good general rule that countless hairdressers have quoted to me and that they live by. Nothing looks worse than blonde streaks in dark hair and someone with a pale complexion going raven black! Let a pro guide you.

You could always experiment with those wash-in, wash-out, non-permanent colours. Clairol makes good ones and they are cheap enough and wash out enough that you can try several over the course of several months and see what sort of colours suit you. I found out very quickly that anything with red tones looks terrible on me! I'm glad I found that out before committing myself to it on a permanent basis at the hairdressers!!

Clare

>Never change your hair colour more than three shades deeper or
>lighter than your natural hair colour.

I had to learn that the hard way. It should be written on stone. You also have to keep in mind that if you choose a permanent color you will need touch ups and if you go for a drastic color change therefore forgetting what Clare mentioned it will be really hard to match your roots to the rest of your hair because dyed hair keeps changing color. My recommendation is that if you don't have gray hairs then get a couple of low lights for a subtle change and if you do have gray hairs then get the color your stylist recommends and make sure it has low lights or highlights built in with the dye or ask your stylist to give you a couple of those because that will make your new hair color look more natural.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.