How Do I know If I'm overtraining

hannahsmom

I am trying to work on my cardio and loose these last stubborn pounds especially on my pooch by doing more cardio. According to my HRM I am not in my heart rate zone long enough and I am thinking I might hit a plateau because I am working out to hard.

My MaxHR on treadmill for a run is 163 with AveHR being 120. Burned 217 cal.

Another day MaxHR was 162 / avehr was 123. I burned 276 cal was in zone only 14.42 min for an hour tape

When I do a tape at only 1/2

When I only workout 1/2hr say I do MaxHR at 122 / AveHR at 96 one workout burned 145 cal. was in zone for 10.26 workout 46.36.

I had my HR set at 139 high and 122 low. I changed it to 144 high and 132 low. Is this too high? I have max at 70-80% now.

MaxHR at 121 / AveHR at 103.

By zone - do you mean fat burning zone? If so, that's a myth. YOu want to work between 70-80% of max heart rate. So, like you might want to bump up your HR a bit.

Yes fat burning zone. I changed it. But what about limits? I have it at 147 high and 124 low. Can I have a range like that

Have you actually measured your zone, or are you just guessing? Mine is something like 108 for the low and 148 for the high.

This may overwhelm you, but here's everything you need to know about heart rates:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heart_rate

The bottom line to calculating your target zone (using the karvonen method of calcuation, which is better than something "age" based) is to know your resting heart rate.

The Karvonen method

Based on your age and fitness levels, your heart beats at different rates. Ideally you should be training between 60 and 90 percent of your maximum heart rate in order to burn fat and improve your fitness. To work out what your 60 to 90 percent range is (your training heart rate or THR), follow these steps:

* Take your resting heart rate (RHR), first thing in the morning before you do anything (even before getting out of bed, if possible).

* Subtract your age from 220. This provides your maximum heart rate (MHR).

* Subtract your resting heart rate from your maximum heart rate. This will give you your HRR.

* Multiply your HRR by 0.6, and then take this figure and add to it your resting heart rate (RHR). This will give you your 60 percent training zone in beats per minute (BPM).

* Multiply your HRR by 0.9, and then take this figure and add to it your resting heart rate (RHR). This will give you your 90 percent training zone in beats per minute (BPM).

* Your training range will therefore be between these two figures.

Your training range should be recalculated every eight weeks as your fitness levels will change.

I second using the Karvonen method to calculate your training heart rates zones. I was using the basic age-based approach and working in my 70-85% zone felt too easy. I recalculated using the Karvonen method and came up with a 70-85% range that was higher and somewhat more challenging.

One way to check if you are overtraining is to take your resting heart rate (RHR) first thing in the morning for a few days and compare it to your RHR prior to your heavy training. If it is elevated, you may be overtraining.

I still find myself straying outside my training zones while using my HRM but I don't get too hung up on that. I rely on the perceived exertion test and how I am feeling as another indicator.

JJ

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.