Horse Back Riding?

Hello,

My life-long wish of horseback riding will be coming true this weekend! I bought a package of 4 x 2-hour lessons for beginners, and it starts on Sunday.

Over the winter I spent hours scouring the web, and think I have found a place with beautiful, happy, well-cared for horses and very good instructors who emphasis the horse's needs and how to communicate with the horse as well as good riding technique.

I AM SO EXCITED! And would love to hear any tips/tales/advice from any horse back riders out there!

hap-hap-HAPPY!!!!!!

:D

Oh, I hope you have a great experience. I'm a life-long horse lover! You are doing the right thing getting lessons. Have fun!

Be warned...you will be hooked!!

My advice, is relax and listen to what they tell you about balance. If these people have good horses, you will have a wonderful experience.

I grew up having horses, then got married, busy job and was away from it for a number of yeas. I made a job change almost 5 years ago, just so I could have a horse again. I haven't looked back or regretted the change (cut in pay).

An author I highly recommend for anyone who loves horses is Mark Rashid. I'd love to attend one of his events some day and attend the Kentucky Derby (2 bucket list items).

Report back!
Lisa

Thaks exercise-lover and Lisa!

I am looking at Mark Rashid's books on amazon.com now and I am going to order two or three.

How far away do you live from Kentucky, Lisa? Going to the Kentucky Deby would be AMAZING!

I'm in western PA, so it would make for a nice long weekend! Perhaps next year...girls weekend away. :cool:

Mark has a really great writing style. He shares short stories of the lessons he has learned from working with horses. I love that the messages are educational and entertaining at the same time. The educational pieces are subliminal...hence the entertainment part.

Lisa

Last edited:
Congratulations on taking lessons. You will love horseback riding. There is nothing like it. I took lessons throughout my childhood and finally got my own horse as a teenager. It was one of the highlights of my life. I have 3 nieces who have horses and I still love riding whenever I can. Enjoy!!

I love to hear about people fulfilling their dreams! Take really good care of your teeth because I think you're going to smiling a lot from here on out!!!:D

Have a wonderful time!

You will love it. I had a similar experience (waiting my whole life to ride). My one piece of advice: begin saving for your own horse now! :)

The horse is the cheap part....the up-keep is where it hits ya....it's worth every penny...I am currently four horses poor and facing divorce if I even think about getting another horse, cat, dog, or even goat...

Just a word of fun caution, don't be surprise if after your first ride you end up a little saddle sore. It's kind of like when you go for a bike ride or take a spin class after a long absence. Maybe a little painful at first, but the enjoyment you will get will be worth it. Have fun.

Jean

oh my gosh I can't believe you guys are so lucky to have our own horses!
My SO says when we move to CT we'll look into maybe adopting a horse..he mentioned half livery? Does that sound familiar?

Well I had my first lesson, which included us getting the horse from the stall, gromming him, sadling but not bridling. I think next week she'll go over that with us. Then the riding basics of course....mounting, going/halting/turning.

I was on a thoroughbred about 16 - 16.5 hands high, which is really a lot of fun for me, being a shorty. :) His name is Charlie and he is just sooooo sweet and affectionate. Really polite and well trained and really likes the humans. When leading him...or standing next to him, holding him...he moves his head up close to your face to be closer to you. And stares at you with big ol' loving eyes. Ohhh and how he LOVES having his upper neck brushed. :) and his face too! I love him and I'll have next week again too! yeaaaa!!!! He's a light coloured chestnut and just...gorgeous. Thoroughbreds really are pretty horses, aren't they?

All the horeses in the stable there seem so happy and engaged...I did a trail ride in the fall and was kina downcast to see that the horses seemed so spiritless. Overworked and underplayed I guess. These horses have a nice, happy life and it shows in their personalities and spirit.

I just can't wait to learn to go faster! but...bouncey bounce bounce....I'm a bit larger up top so am a bit leery of the jiggling.

Indeed..the beginnig of an addiction!!!!!

to the person who said they love to see dreams come true...that made me smile, such a nice sentiment Thank you! and thank you everyone else for your encouragement!

Hey, what happened with your riding lessons? Did you have all 4? Are you still taking lessons? Just curious if you're still hooked.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.