hopsital grade pumps?

shellnc

Cathlete
My son is 14.5 weeks old. I've started back to work recently...I dual pump/breastfeed in the morning, at lunch (I come home to see Sawyer) and in the evening. I have not been able to pump at work at all. With my first son it was easy, but I've been promoted since then and it seems like all I do is go from one meeting to another (some are several hours long or even all day). I have the Purely Yours and the Whisper Wear pump and they are great pumps....but neither one of them empty me out in the 20 minutes I pump. My let down stops even with massaging and I definitely have more milk in there no doubt about that..... I was thinking about renting a hospital grade pump for 3 months - until the baby is 6 months. I was hoping that it might help me pump more milk. I really don't want to have to substitue any formula at all until hie is at least 6 months. Currently, I'm just not pumping enough and we are going through my freezer stash FAST. I also pump on the weekends to save for weekdays.

Does anyone have experience with hosptal grades and regular electric pumps?

I have Medula pump in style, which is considered a hospital grade pump. I was able to succesfully pump & store enough milk for my last baby with this pump. It took me 10 minutes to collect milk at work with this pump (20 min total with labeling milk bags, washing collection supplies, and walk to and from break room). It wouldn't hurt for you to contact a lactation consultant for their advice. I'm sorry you're having struggles, as nursing is supposed to be FUN!!!
Good luck & keep us posted.

**Melanie**
Jadon born 11/23/05
Justin born 1/17/04
Jory born 4/9/94

" Take care of your body like it will last a lifetime. Take care of your soul like it will last for eternity"

I used the Medula pump in style(the double pump), but it didn't work that well for me. I got more milk using the avent hand pump, which wasn't exactly the most convenient! Is there a way you can rent a couple for a few days and see which one is best for you?

Lori

Could you rent the hospital pump for a month to see how it works for you? I've heard from many friends that the hospital pumps are much more efficient than the Medela PIS or the Purely Yours. For instance, a friend with premie twins couldn't pump a drop with the PIS, but had luck with the hospital pump. However, they are very bulky, so you'd have to consider the burden of lugging it around. Good luck- I feel for you. I've been stuck in court, unable to pump, and the stress of not being able to pump can be overwhelming. Kristan

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.