High step

Before I was turned onto Cathe videos I used to use the Firm. Im noticing that some of her videos use the 14 inch high step. Im wondering if the firm step at 14 inches is an acceptable substitute for the high step. The thought of spending more money for more equipment is somewhat frightening. (One of the reasons I switched from the Firm to Cathe, but I do have to say that Cathe's workouts are far better)

Thanks
Cori

Hi Cori,

I have one of the older Firm 14" steps (it actually looks more like a stool). It works fine for things like leg presses or triceps dips. I wouldn't trust it for any kind of cardio work though.

Hope this helps.

Hi Cori, a former Firmie myself. I like Cathe LOTS better. I use a 14 inch step too for most of the times its needed in Cathe workouts. I never got a Firm one. This is one my hubby made out of plywood when I first started stepping way back when! Good luck...:)...Carole

You can definitely do Cathe workouts with the Firm step, but I have to say I finally switched over for a couple of reasons. One is space. I like that all the risers to my High Step stack up in one place, and I can combine the risers from my High Step to make my Reebok step higher for laying down bench work. Basically I have one tall stack of risers with my long Step top next to it.

The other thing is that I cannot tell you how much variety you have with step height using the risers. Two inches one way or another can make a HUGE difference! I change it up all the time. I sold my Firm Fanny Lifter to pay for my High Step. No regrets at all:)

No Cori, Cathe moves the High Step down to a lower height to do the cardio portion. I believe she uses 8". Then, she makes it higher for the strength sections such as leg presses. Hope this helps. I also have a Firm Fanny Lifter (the old wooden one) and it 14" tall and works fine for strength work but I would NOT use it for cardio. Have FUN and WELCOME!!!
Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

I have 3 steps: the old wooden Firm one, the new plastic (purple/blue) Firm one, and a 2 1/2 foot long, 3 riser Jane Fonda step (yikes!).

Actually, I was thinking I would either use the single 8" blue riser from the plastic Firm step, or all three of the Jane Fonda risers to do this workout.

I'm in the market to replace all of this junk and consolidate, any advice would be welcome.

Thanks!
Shopgirl :)

I'm tall, and find that the old firm fanny lifter works okay, but I'm saving my pennies for the new high step. I think for a tall person a few more inches will produce better results.

:) Good luck!

The Firm step that I have is the two piece one. So I dont know if that makes any difference as far as the cardio part. Im sure at some point in time I will probably buy the high step, but for now I would just rather use the firm one that I have.

Cori

I have used the fanny lifer for the aerobic portions of Cathe's and it worked fine, but I have the two in one new blue and purple one. It's not as easy to fit together when switching heights, and I'm actually saving up for the new high step.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.