hemming capris?

bitmover

Cathlete
Cathe always looks great in capris, and I never do. As I was just trying on a pair (that I bought without trying), I wondered if maybe they are just too long and I need to make them shorter. Do any of you shorter people do that? I wonder if Cathe has to have them altered..... (I would use fabric glue, but I'm not sure I can pull it off on capris). Think I ought to just return them and stick with the long pants?

I've had the same problem. I'm 5'1" and usually capris are too long for me. I agree that shorter looks better, but I've never had good luck hemming them. But my sister has all her capris altered and they look fine.

I usually just try to find shorter capris, but longer shorts sometimes work. They end up almost looking like short capris on me! For workout-wear, Nike has a line called Perfect Fit (or something like that) and their longer shorts are cute and really comfy. The capris in that line are longer than I like, but they're kind of flared at the bottom and still look cute for some reason.

If I were you I'd probably just return the capris and stick to the long pants until I could find shorter ones that looked better. Good luck!

Denise, I one time found some jeans at Gap that were perfect length for me -- I was astounded! When I paid I asked the guy what does the letter stand for in the sizing so I can remember this size. It wasn't S like I'm used to buying, nor P for petite. I don't think it was an A, but he told me it was ankle length and then I realized why the length fit me correctly!! :D

Hmmm, I think I may take these back.... they are Nike, but apparently not "the perfect fit" (literally or figuratively) so it's probably not worth it. Thanks for chiming in!!

Here is the thing with capris and short people (yes I am one too), . . .when these darn things are manufactured and made they are made a certain width at the knee. It is sorta hard to explain and most people may not even notice the difference but clothing to fit non short people are cut to flatter and lengthen the leg at certain parts. With designer jeans AND capris they are wider at a certain point and narrow at a certain point. I would not be surprised if Cathe has acess to a great tailor because from what I hear she is sorta on the short side too. I have capris from Nike and I've had to tailor them too, . . as a matter of fact I've had to tailor practically everything I own unless I buy it petite and even then I still may have to tailor it anyway. Yes it sucks being short.

(I would use fabric glue, but I'm not sure I can pull it off on capris).
You can hand sew them. That would be MUCH better than fabric glue. It also depends on if you are talking a knit fabric or a woven. Knits do not take to fabric glue well, . .it will look like you have hardened snot on the hem of your pants.

I know what you mean! That's why I'm not sure I can pull it off with capris. I definitely have used it on other workout full-length pants successfully, but I also ruined one pair with the snot effect! When you have them tailored, do they make the more narrow, too? Because I'm worried about the width, as you say. I had them in my car, ready to return them today, and then I carpooled with my husband so I don't have them with me..... not sure I'll have an opportunity to get to the store next week, so I may still keep them.... crazy how much thought I am putting into this!!

I am jumping in on this thread from the other end of the spectrum. I am 5'7" and carry all of my height in my lower legs. I end up shortening most of my pants to make them capris since most "long" pants hit me just above the ankle. If I buy long pants I usually add a cuff or hem to make them fit correctly.

I always said I learned to sew as self defense as "one size fits all" really should read "one size fits none".

That's funny, NRG Woman. Too crazy -- and yes, one size fits none, it seems, though I have to say that Bia Brazil sooper doooper underwear in one size fits most mentioned in another thread did work for me!

You definitely have to get petite capris. I'm 5'4" well maybe 5'3" and I have a hard time finding capris. Last year I think JJill had some petites. I hate it though when a short person wears the regular length ones. I think they make them look shorter. Not flattering at all.

I hate it though when a short person wears the regular length ones. I think they make them look shorter. Not flattering at all.

This is because they are meant to look flattering on women who are 5'4" and up. I agree with the other poster. One size does not fit all, . .my best advice is if you don't do it yourself make best friends with your neighborhood tailor and I mean tailor not laundry person who hems on the side. They know their stuff. It is not easy to do and you are paying for the fact that they know what they are doing. Try to buy stuff on sale so it can justify the tailoring cost.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.