HELP!!!!

fitat49

Cathlete
I’ve gone through a rough few months, personally. I haven’t worked out in 6 months, which is the first in 30 years. I’m eating crappy and adding alcohol. Feeling vey depressed and out of shape because of this.Is it possible to get back in shape like I was? And how should I start out working out? I know I need to clean up my diet and no alcohol. I’m 60 in May, but always have been very fit. Please an advice would be appreciated. Thank You, Lori

Hi Lori,
I am sorry you've been having a tough time. Whenever I am feeling down, I find it hard to work out. That said, working out (strength training, in particular), is like medicine for the brain - it helps so much. Could you consider bringing in just a couple of small changes e.g. drinking more water, exercising for 15/20 minutes three times a week? Keep your goals small at first. I wouldn't shoot for getting in shape yet. I would shoot for slowly getting back into exercise by creating small, manageable commitments. You will feel so much better, more accomplished and in greater control of your life. If you have worked out for 30 years, you'll find your way again. It's a hardened habit. depression convinces you to stay put and do very little. if you start small, and get back at it, you'll slowly start to remember the love affair you and your workouts once had! you can do this! just start somewhere. we're here for you. good luck.

Ease back into it.....love yourself for trying.....don't worry about what you use to do......enjoy what you can do now.

Hi Lori,
I am sorry you've been having a tough time. Whenever I am feeling down, I find it hard to work out. That said, working out (strength training, in particular), is like medicine for the brain - it helps so much. Could you consider bringing in just a couple of small changes e.g. drinking more water, exercising for 15/20 minutes three times a week? Keep your goals small at first. I wouldn't shoot for getting in shape yet. I would shoot for slowly getting back into exercise by creating small, manageable commitments. You will feel so much better, more accomplished and in greater control of your life. If you have worked out for 30 years, you'll find your way again. It's a hardened habit. depression convinces you to stay put and do very little. if you start small, and get back at it, you'll slowly start to remember the love affair you and your workouts once had! you can do this! just start somewhere. we're here for you. good luck.
Thank you so much for your encouraging words. Depression sucks! I will try to do what you suggested. I know I couldn't do my hiit workouts for awhile.. which makes me sad.. Thanks again!

Major life events, especially losses of some type can really throw us off course. To answer your first question, yes of course you can regain your fitness -_- just take your time and build up. Go for short walks, do some Jessica Smith DVDs or easier Cathe's - just don't set yourself up for injuries and disappointment by doing too much too soon. "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Address the life stressors & consider short-term counseling - sometimes a few sessions with a professional can be the motivation to start addressing issues with positive coping skills. And schedule a physical with lab work - sometimes our eating is off too when under stress and deficiencies in Vit D & B12, among others, can contribute to depression and lack of motivation. Best wishes.

I agree with these wise ladies. You may not have the emotional energy to do a whole Cathe workout for a while.
Plan to do the warm -up and then the stretch of a DVD you really like, then you are finished for the day! ( 15 / 20 min)
It may be all the attention you can give to a workout right now- that is OK !! :)
( I think Muscle Max is a good one for this-but anything YOU LIKE-pick one that makes you smile! )
Then, another day you may decide to add on the abs section too...

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.