Help Please! Cathe Live Freezing

Tinker

Cathlete
In the past 2 weeks, I haven't been able to complete a live workout. I always do the live workouts from the library. I have tried about 6 different workouts and experience the same thing. The workout plays fine for the first 10 minutes or so then starts freezing. I end up going back to start a DVD and wasting time. I'm streaming from a Samsung 8+ cell phone using a hdmi cable to my big TV. Any help is appreciated!!

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

Hi Tinker,
In order to help you I need to know a few things:

1. Are you using The Cathe Live App or your web browser to view?
2. What "Quality" setting are you using on the player?
3. Do you have an ac wireless router or what type do you have? (I'm assuming your using wireless on your phone, not cellular data)
4. Can you run a speedtest at speedtest.net and let me know your results?
5. Also, does the video play fine on your phone if you don't use your hdmi cable to your TV?

If you can get back to with answers to as many questions as you can I'll try to give you some suggestions that may solve your problem.

Hi Tinker,
In order to help you I need to know a few things:

1. Are you using The Cathe Live App or your web browser to view?
2. What "Quality" setting are you using on the player?
3. Do you have an ac wireless router or what type do you have? (I'm assuming your using wireless on your phone, not cellular data)
4. Can you run a speedtest at speedtest.net and let me know your results?
5. Also, does the video play fine on your phone if you don't use your hdmi cable to your TV?

If you can get back to with answers to as many questions as you can I'll try to give you some suggestions that may solve your problem.
How can I tell what Quality setting I'm using when I stream from the Cathe Live App?

If you're using the app then there isn't a setting for quality. The app uses HLS streaming and auto detects the best quality you're capable of receiving. So, thanks for answering #1 and #2. Two things I would suggest at this point with the information I currently have from you. I would suggest force closing the app and trying again. I would also suggest rebooting your router. If you can answer #3,#4 and #5 it would be helpful so I can make further suggestions.

Last edited:
thanks! heres the rest...

I do not have a wireless router. I have the router that I purchased with my at&t unverse package.

I ran the speedtest. Download Mbps = 653.
Upload Mbps = 8.86.

The video plays fine on my phone when I dont use the hdmi cable to the tv.

Hi Tinker,

If the video plays fine on your phone then you know it's not the app or your internet speed. The problem is either your cable or a device setting for your phone. HDMI cables are notorious for not working on Android phones as you have to shop around and try various cables to hopefully get one that will work. Also, just to be clear is your download speed 653 Mbps or did you have the decimal in the wrong place?

Last edited:
Hi Tinker, also can you give me the brand name of the hdmi cable you're using? One curious thing we noticed is that on a Samsung 8 phone the default screen timeout I think is set to 10 mins. This seems to be when you're having an issue. I'm wondering if you always have the issue at about 10 mins or does it vary?

Hi Tinker, also can you give me the brand name of the hdmi cable you're using? One curious thing we noticed is that on a Samsung 8 phone the default screen timeout I think is set to 10 mins. This seems to be when you're having an issue. I'm wondering if you always have the issue at about 10 mins or does it vary?

My download speed is 653 Mbps. The brand name of the hdmi cable is EEEKit. I have been using this same hdmi cable for 5 months with no issues. It worked great. I just started having trouble streaming in the past few weeks. The issue starts after about 10 minutes. Also, in the past couple weeks, I frequently would get "hdmi disconnected".

Hi Tinker,

I've been doing some research online and see where a lot of Samsung user's are having the same problem as you when mirroring their phone screen to their big TV. Many of the people having an issue say the issue started when the latest version of Android "Oreo" came out. I know the Samsung phone we test on just had the OREO update installed a week or two ago. So, I'm wondering if your phone recently updated to Oreo?

Also, since the problem starts at about 10 mins and since most people have their Samsung phones set for "Screen Timeout" at 10 mins in their phone settings, it seems likely that mirroring doesn't recognize that the video is still playing and thus shuts down at 10 mins. If this is the case then the problem may be with the latest version of OREO. I would suggest streaming from your browser (instead of the app) on your phone and mirror to your TV and see if the same thing happens from your browser as does the app and let us know what happens.

Your problem may also be unrelated to your Android version and may be caused by something else.We're certainly keeping all options open at this point. Your HDMI cable, for example, might have gone bad. This commonly happens on HDMI cables and could possibly be the cause of your issues. There could be other causes too, but if you can get back to me with your Android version and if it updated recently it would be helpful. Also, make sure to try mirroring using your browser instead of our app as this will tell us a lot. Hope to narrow down the cause of your problem soon!

Thank you. I checked the software update information setting on my phone. My Samsung 8+ was updated with Android Oreo on April 8. I'll try streaming workouts from the browser on my phone and mirroring to my tv to see what happens. I'll let you know!

I tried streaming from the browser on my phone and mirroring to my big tv. When I tried streaming a high quality setting workout, it only worked for a minute or two and then I received this message on the tv "No signal. Check the external input or select another input using INPUT button". I checked the external input and tried selecting another input but that did not work either. Then I tried streaming a low quality setting and that worked. The entire workout played with no issues.

Hi Tinker,

I'm going to divide my answer to your problem in two parts below, so make sure to read both.

Part#1
There are still some things that I'm not clear on about your setup (see part #2 below to this answer), but with the information I have so far the leading suspect for your problem is the Android Oreo update has caused a compatibility problem with the HDMI cable you're using. Our App and Browser version of Cathe Live don't have any a single word of code that pertains to the output of video files through an external HDMI cable. This is controlled by the cable you use and your phones operating system.

After doing research on the effects of the Oreo update on Samsung S8 phones, and many others, it seems like problems with the USB connection are all too common. Sometimes the issues have to do with the phone not getting power from a charger while video is being played over the cable, and other times it is just a software bug that causes the video to stop playing. Two suggestions we encountered are:

1. Use a USB-C to HDMI cable that also has the ability to plug into a charger so that the phone gets power while showing video over the cable. This was not a problem before Oreo.

2. Try different USB-C to HDMI cables or converters for Oreo. Some work better than others, and some are known to have been "broken" by the Oreo update.

Here are a couple links to some discussions about USB issues after updating to Oreo...it is pretty common:

https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/944693

https://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-note-8/858513-usb-c-hdmi.html

One possible solution for you is to make sure your HDMI cable is plugged in to a power source while you are trying to stream a video. From the type of cable I believe you have there should be third cable that you hook up to a power source. Can you or have you tried streaming a video with this power cable plugged in? This seems to have helped some people that have the same issue as you. This is only a possible solution as we don't have your exact phone and cable to test.

Part #2

This part of my answer addresses some possible causes to why you can play the low quality version on the web but not the high quality, but I need some clarification from you first to really make sure my answer to you is right.

1. You say you don't have a wireless router. If this is true it means your internet speed test doesn't apply as you have to be using your cellular data 4LTE (or less). If this is the case you're getting at best 10 mbps download speed and perhaps far less. This could possibly explain why you can only play the low quality video and not the high quality video through your HDMI cable.

2. You said your download speed was 653 mbps and your upload speed was only 8 mbps. It's unusual to have an internet speed this high and also very unusual to have such a high download speed and an upload speed of only 8 mbps. I also don't see this high of a download speed being offered with your plan. Your router should also include wireless with a plan like this. It's important that we get clarification on this because we need to know if your problem could be related to your wireless router if you have one and/or your internet speed. Can you double check this and let us know?

Hope this helps. Please get back to us with answers to these questions or with any questions you may have.

My router IS wireless. Sorry about that!

I have not tried streaming a cathe live video with the hdmi cable plugged in to a power source while I am streaming. My hdmi cable has a third cable that I've never used. My hdmi cable is a 6 ft USB C Type C to HDMI Cable with USB Charging Port for Samsung Galaxy Note 8/S8/S9.

I did another speedtest. Heres what I got:
download 82.4
upload 8.60

Hi Tinker,

From what we have read a lot of people who use an HDMI cable with a usb c cable have experienced the same problem as you have since OREO was released. This sounds like something Android will have to fix in a future update, but try plugging your third cable into an outlet. Many people have reported that this solves their issue and hopefully will solve yours too. Let us know if it works.

Update. I been trying to stream with the 3rd cable of my HDMI cable plugged in so that it's charging while streaming. This has worked intermittently. I have had a few workouts play with no issues. But several times the videos will have the same issue...they play fine at first then start freezing. Nothing seems to be a sure fix, so far. These are the steps I've been trying before I start to stream:

Check phone battery so that it's 100% or close to 100% charged
Restart my phone
Optimize my phone
Close all open apps/Clear my cache
Make sure Blue Tooth is off
Have hdmi cable plugged in so that it's charging

Seems a little crazy! Other than purchasing a new hdmi cable...Do you have any other suggestions?

I possibly may be able to get a used ipad (about 2 years old). I've been using my samsung to stream. Can I switch my streaming device to the ipad?

Hi Tinker,

The advantage of an iPad is if you buy the cable from Apple you know it will work. Android HDMI cables are made by tons of different manufacturers and you really never know if a particular cable will work on your phone. If you do get another Android cable make sure to get a Samsung cable made by them since you have their phone, not a third party cable. Also, make sure you can return the cable if it doesn't work.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.