Help....need objective opinion re: the evil scale!

dpiglet

Cathlete
Hey all! This post really needs to go along with Dani's post from the other day! Here's my problem....actually there is a bunch of them. I have had gyn problems since April, which I now know is fibroid tumors, but right now I am on birth control to help correct with heavy bleeding and I am gaining weight...HORRORS!! Despite the fact I am still working with Cathe 3-5 days a week, and have a pretty physically demanding job. Okay, maybe the food thing has not been the greatest, cause I have been feeling so yucky, I think I have been comfort eating to hide the pain. But should I be freaking out?? I now weigh 120 and I am 5 foot nothing, usually wear a size 6. Part of me knows that the weight will probably drop back down to 113-115 after I get the fibroid problem corrected, but perhaps I just need someone to kick me in the head and say that my height and weight are okay! I always wanted to weigh 110, but I know in my heart that is just not gonna happen ever...too much muscle on this little person! Has anyone else fought with birth control weight?? The funniest part is that birth control is the last thing I need since I had my tubes tied years ago! Thanks for letting me vent! Donna.

Donna-Are you able to try different brands of birth control? I haven't experienced weight gain, but I know certain pills make my skin break out more. Sorry I wasn't much help.

Donna,

Try keeping your salt intake really low during the time you're on birth control pills. Processed foods are your worst enemy. Most of your sodium will come from canned and boxed foods. Also, drink lots of water (MORE than 8, 8 oz glasses a day) and avoid carbonated drinks completely. Until I started keeping a close eye on my salt intake and drinking LOTS of water, my weight fluctuated as much as 3-4 pounds from day to day and I ALWAYS gained 8-10 at TTOM. Now, I gain 1-2 then, and my weight remains steady the rest of the time. This will also help with that bloaty feeling b/c pills can give you.

Hope this helps.

Donna:

your weight sounds just fine for me, and like you say, you have a muscly body, so don't try to achieve some idealized number that may look good on someone else!

Personally, as a tall person who will never weigh as little as you or as most 'fitness models', I find it annoying and counter-productive to be told by magazines thw weight of different fitness personalities. Who cares? What does it matter? The weight that is right for you and me is the weight that makes us look good, the weight at which we perform our daily activities well, without excessive fatigue because we aren't eating enough or have gotten too skinny, it's the weight that allows you to do what you want to do and just get on with life, period. A size 6 dress size sounds just fine to me!

If your body goes up or down a little, these are just normal fluctuations and your body will settle itself down once your system gets used to the medications you are taking. I would not conclude that a medication is making me gain weight until after about 6 months, probably. The body chemistry needs time to adjust. if you are eating healthily and the drugs cause you no other unpleasant side effects, I would say, keep doing what you do, just monitor how you feel, but don't monitor your weight so closely, it'll just make you panic, as it has here!

I weigh something different every time I go to the doctors, which is the only place I ever get weighed. A year ago it was 120 pounds, a few months ago it was 132 in March. Last week, it was 128. Go figure. I could not have told you I would weigh in heavier or lighter, no clue. All I ever monitor is that I feel OK, that my energy levels are good, that my favourite jeans and skirts fit like they used to, except for during my monthly bloat when nothing fits, but then, that's something else!!!

Get of the scales and just ask yourself: how do I feel today? Then just get on with the living!!

Clare

Hi Donna,

At 5'00', 120 pounds is right on, especially if you're fit and have muscle! I'm 5'00 also, and my normal weight fluctuates between 115-120. I got up to 147 right after having my baby and have lost it almost all through Cathe and WW. My lowest weight was at 100-102 and I looked sickly! People would tell me I was way too skinny and I look back at pictures of myself and they were right. You are at a perfect weight for your height so don't fret!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.